LTL and foodservice companies with two consecutive days off.

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by bentstrider83, Sep 22, 2017.

1. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    As most of you guys here could tell by my threads, I've been kind of wishy-washy about wanting to jump ship, and move. Indian River gets its fair amount of bashing here and elsewhere, but I've been accustomed to the same, two days I've been getting here and at the prior company for the past five years. My only reason for even thinking of wanting to leave is due to the ups and downs on the pay-front over here(as that seems to be the case for many others).
    So instead of straight up, rage quitting over high amounts of work and a low check, I've decided to play it cool and do "over-extensive" research on potential companies and the areas they're located in.
    To me, it seems the biggest deal breaker that occurs is when I come across a company and their concept of the split-days off thing. I like to take mini road trips on my two days off and having only one day off here and a day off there seems to be an easy set up for failure and a firing.
    That said, I think I've burned some bridges with McLane and Shamrock for their use of those days off.(put in an app, change mind about job, never call them back,. etc)

Also, I've even accepted the fact that I'll probably get useless nights off (ie,. Sun/Mon) if I go elsewhere. So at this point, I'm just trying to narrow it down to what daycab/LTL/linehaul companies are out there that offer two consecutive days off. I know Estes does, but everywhere else I've gone through seems to be six days on/one day off sort of thing.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Any LTL City Driver (P&D) will give you weekends off. And a lot of Foodservice Companies will have a 4 day on 3 day off schedule. Papa John's and PFG comes to mind.

4. bentstrider83

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I'm typically used to having days off in the middle of the week and working at night. So while I could get accustomed to the physicality of the P/D city stuff, the actual schedule would be a weird thing for me. Now foodservice, I haven't completely ruled out yet. I was about to try out Sygma until someone told me about the pay there. Then I almost got on with Sysco, but no dice there either.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  5. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    My my.... picky picky aren't we :D. I guess you want 6 weeks vacation too lol ;).

Yeah, I like having days off on the weekdays too. I get more stuff done that way. Weekends are just too crowded. You're probably not gonna get that type of schedule without putting in some time and seniority, but who knows. I'm sure there's some Foodservice guys that can help you out. Good luck.

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  6. bentstrider83

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Who would've thought I would come across jobs where weekends off were the norm while middle of the week was more valued? I used to work security and working weekends was considered a plus if you wanted to get hired on some place. As far as the seniority thing goes, who knows how long that would kick in. It's like by the time I do get the seniority, all the activities I got used to heading out to in the middle of the week have disbanded and now I'll have to...gulp.... take on a leadership position in my circles.
    Only thing I could do now is think through the position before I take up the offer and keep my hand on my broadsword when I venture off into the weekends. Those crowds of normies usually require silver anyway!!

Nonetheless, I'll keep poking around until something comes up. I might end up just staying put where I am for time immemorial due to my ways. Or end up having to chase that higher dollar due to the stagnation of pay where I'm at right now. Foodgrade getting whooped by Foodservice!!

G13Tomcat and Sho Nuff Thank this.
  7. truck_guy

truck_guy Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2015
    SE MI
    If it was my dc, you could tell them you were sorry but something personal came up and there would be no further question. Lol.

I’ve had bids that would leave at 02:00 on Saturday and Wednesday, and be back at 08:00 on Sunday and Thursday. Not huge money makers, but still good for $12-1300/week. And that was 6-7 years ago. Best one I’ve had would leave at midnight on Tuesday and Friday, and be back to the yard around 08:00 on Wednesday and Saturday, with lots of cases and lots of miles. Four days a week, paid around $1500, logging 41-42 hours of on duty and drive time. Lots of time by myself on some desolate northern Michigan roads. Loved it.

Takes some time before you can pick and choose.

I love my weekdays off. Get the kids and wife off to school and work and do whatever the heck I want to do.

8. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    Don't forget GOLDEN STATE FOODS , great job. Retired from there in 2011 after 33 years of food service delivery.

9. bentstrider83

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Sounds quite awesome. But as I said, it's kind of my own fault I whigged out on calling the guy back after awhile. I talked to the guy a year ago, then changed my mind. Last time I talked to him about three weeks ago, he didn't sound much like a happy camper. Lessons are going to be learned all throughout life. But if there's one I recently learned, bridges could be burned through all sorts of means in the employment world.
    Job hopping seems to be a real big one as evidenced on this thread. Yet at the same time, getting a job offer then repeatedly rescinding it after gaining some confidence your current company is going to start doing you well is yet another way to burn a bridge and cause a few people to hate you.
    I don't know, it seems like the only reason I've ended up with different jobs at all is due to the desperation developed after a firing and the need to get back into the game before too much time goes by.
    I seem to be one of those people who doesn't really know how to react when trying to make a voluntary, non-termination, job switch. Only because I probably haven't left too many jobs under my own free will.

truck_guy Thanks this.
  10. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Most, if not all of the LTL companies, including UPSF have Satuday and Sunday completely off (for daytime P+D) drivers. Those would be the perfect days to take a roadtrip?

i know Republic National around here works either Monday thru Thursday or Tuesday thru friday so you actually get 3 days off, but
    a) Liquor delivery is not worth it even if it was a 3 day work week, trust me, and

b) i don't know if they are in New mexico?

11. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    P.S.
    Have you looked into Waste Managment (WM), or Republic (NOT Republic National), but republic the trash company?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.