LTL Extraboard guys......Best GPS?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by HoustonTrucker, Sep 6, 2018.

1. HoustonTrucker

HoustonTrucker Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Im about to start running extraboard in a region I'm not familar with. Everything will be new to me. What is the best GPS for a truck driver?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jgarciajr40

jgarciajr40 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2016
    I use Google maps, and I just scan out the property with Google Earth on my phone to get an aerial view.

Obviouslly won't be dumb and listen to Google when it tells you to zigzag in a residential unless you have to.

Plus call the oldest guys at my terminal.

4. Fuelinmyveins

Fuelinmyveins Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    I have garmin 770 and its been sitting in the box in my back pack for a while now. I usually use google maps satellite view and call city drivers to ask for directions. Also my city dispatch used be a city driver so I usually ask him for directions as well.

Btw make sure you read the road signs and pay attention to bridge weight limits.

Edit: I don't trust my piece of crap Garmin. One time when driving to industrial park it kept saying no trucks allowed. Then another time it told me to go through downtown of the city with doubles.o_O HELL NO!

snowlauncher Thanks this.
  5. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Google maps and common sense.
    Together there unbeatable, and there both free.

snowlauncher and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  6. lagbrosdetmi

lagbrosdetmi Box Monkey

Jul 1, 2014
    Detroit
    Back in my day we had a pocket full of quarters and a phone number on the invoice.

+1 for google maps.

speedyk, Coover and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  7. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    1. Company route guide.
    2. Atlas.
    3. Google Maps
    4. GPS

I only used a GPS as a heads up for when my next turn or exit was. Honestly, as long as you map your route ahead of time using company directions and verifying with RM motor carriers atlas, any GPS will do. I used RM. I don't follow any GPS blindly.

Too many drivers put faith in a GPS because it's branded as a "trucker GPS." Too many drivers also rely on Google maps without verifying their route is free from any potential restrictions or low bridges by checking with RM motor carrier atlas and/or looking at STAA routes.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    Coover Thanks this.
  8. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    I personally wouldn't waste money on a trucker GPS. Google maps can show you the layout of the streets and location of your destination. If you run linehaul you should use Google maps and ask others who are familiar with the route what's the best way. You will only need help navigating it a couple times until you learn it yourself.
    For P&D, I would just use Google maps, call customers, and keep an experienced fellow driver on speed dial for directions. If you are running a pup trailer it's less likely you will get yourself into a tight situation. Pay attention to your surroundings and the layout as always and you will do fine.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.