LTL out of Memphis, TN

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by AndrewMemphis, Oct 27, 2013.

1. AndrewMemphis

AndrewMemphis Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Southeast region
    So I'm a JB Hunt driver and I like it a lot. I stay out for 28 days at a time and make .41 cpm. I've been with them since July. Before that I was on a local Net Ops line haul run with Werner but I changed to OTR because I wanted to see the country and get away from my family so I could grow up some. (I was 26) So I went OTR with Werner and it was the biggest mistake ever. I was making a lot less money and barely bringing home 200 dollars with them OTR.

If you didn't have a load on Friday evening you were screwed as you had to wait till your Fleet Manager came in on Monday to find anything. But I really like it here at JB, I just want to be home more frequently. It's exhausting and lonely to stay out as long as I do. I know they have local intermodal but everytime I visit that terminal I feel like they give me the run around. They give me a number to call and no one answers, or they claim they're not hiring although they have a big sign out front. What do you guys think I should do? I've learned a lot in my past year of driving but are there any options for me?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Try USF Holland. They got a terminal right there in Memphis.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  4. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    Check around it is a big area. You got YRC, and I'm sure ABF, UPSF, Old D, CWF, and Estes ate all around there too

5. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    The Conway Freight there is gigantic. Well, probably any company will have a big yard there. It shouldn't be too hard to find a job.
    Also include SEFL and AAA on your list.

6. Flatbedn

Flatbedn Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Missouri
    RL carriers is out in Arlington on 385 towards millington.

AndrewMemphis Thanks this.
  7. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I didn't realize the pay at JB Hunt was as high as that. All the above suggestions are good - I'd try ODFL there in Memphis, even running solo wild you'll be back every 5-7 days.
    I don't blame ya - I did OTR by myself for 18 months when I was 28 and when the fun wore off, it just became a lonely job.
    ODFL is .55 or .56 cpm solo, you might start out lower and build up to top rate after 2 years. Takes a few years to get seniority and schedule runs, but at the rate older drivers are retiring, the prospects are looking better very day for younger drivers.

8. twiztidconspiracy89

twiztidconspiracy89 Bobtail Member

Sep 8, 2006
    if you are wanting to change to intermodal you need to call corp,the people in memphis dont have anything to do with hiring or being able to help you change positions.thats what i do and i love it,im out 5 days and home weekends and run a 400mile radius of memphis.

9. AndrewMemphis

Jan 5, 2013
    Southeast region
    I sent an app to Conway Truckload since its basically the same company. I didn't see any open local jobs listed on their site

10. Flatbedn

Flatbedn Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Missouri
    2 different companies. You have search the cw freight website.

11. AndrewMemphis

Jan 5, 2013
    Southeast region
    I called and they gave me the same number to John. I guess I have to keep calling back..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.