Lumper advice

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by aivla10, Apr 9, 2021.

1. aivla10

aivla10 Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Hi ladies and gentlemen! Question about lumper services, im an owner operator in refrigerated area, I was wondering if there is any sort of rule or law regarding lumper and warehouses in general about unloading. I recently had an issue where unloading service had damaged my trailer and if course they claimed that they know nothing about, they had pulled four pallets and put two holes in the scuffboard of a 115k trailer, now I'm stuck with repair, im wondering if there is anyway to keep them aholes out of my trailer, I don't mind pulling the pallets out and them taking over from there, just seems like nobody gives a #### about our equipment. I do have an electric pallet jack and definitely can unload them pallets myself, I would just like to keep them capstone boys away from my equipment.

Attached Files:

NavigatorWife, bzinger, Coffey and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    That is one nice truck!

Coffey Thanks this.
  4. aivla10

aivla10 Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Thank you! Its getting hard to keep after with all those dumb regulations

Coffey, HardwareHyena and Moosetek13 Thank this.
  5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Snowman and the Bandit could keep those Smokies at bay.

Not sure what they would do with the lumper situation though.
    It may be possible to tailgate those pallets without objection. Maybe you could stipulate that before accepting the load?

NavigatorWife, Coffey and slow.rider Thank this.
  6. HardwareHyena

HardwareHyena Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Depew, NY
    Time to park these things for a little while. That'll get them straight. Respect has been gone for a while now.

NavigatorWife and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  7. Jaebo74

Jaebo74 Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2021
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Did you hire them or did the receiver hire them?

if you hired them, it is between you and them.

if the receiver hired them, then the receiver assumes the responsibility for the damage.

never leave the dock until you talk to the management of the receiver and file a damage claim, never.

Document everything, what was damaged, who you talked to and what they said.

even if they refuse to do anything, then sue them over the damages and downtime to get it fixed.

9. aivla10

aivla10 Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2017
    They claim that I cannot be on the dock due to us foods regulations, now where I have an issue is I own my equipment and shouldn't I have some say as to what happens to or in my trailer. At this point its one way street and its getting old, at that specific us foods I will end up bringing the products back rather than use their unloading service

10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I've been to those places, union mostly. I'm not sure, but I think your trailer is not part of their warehouse, and you could say, "you aren't allowed in my trailer, give me a pallet jack ( or use yours,,,you DO have a pallet jack,,) and say, I'll bring them to the back, you take them off. Might work, pixx them off, but hey, in this day and age, it's pixx, or be pixxed on. Good luck, and next time, don't take that load, if you can.

NavigatorWife, Coffey and slow.rider Thank this.
  11. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Since Covid a lot of places will not allow driver unloads. I’m loading 8 stops right now. Of those two drivers aren’t allowed in the building,two are no drivers on the dock,one I’m not sure about I haven’t been there since Covid started.

NavigatorWife and Coffey Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.