Lumper Schlumper

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by mebesg, Sep 22, 2009.

1. mebesg

mebesg Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Dardanelle, AR
    Every time I deliver to a food warehouse that has lumpers, they tell me I can either pay a lumper or unload my truck myself. I would be happy to unload my own truck, but they won't let me use one of their forklifts, they tell me I have to use a pallet jack. And if I unload it myself, my company will only pay me a fraction of what they'll pay a lumper. And if I pay a lumper, they take hours and hours to unload me. It's always a lose/lose situation. I HATE grocery warehouses!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Lumper Shlumper Dude, unload it yourself and make a phoney receipt as if a lumper unloaded it and collect the higher fee yourself.

4. BoDarville01

BoDarville01 Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA

Do that more than once or twice, and you just might get burned. Should the company do any sort of 'audit' or 'check' to see if ACME lumper corp. is actually REAL, you'd lose your job.

but anyway....i was at a US Foodservice couple weeks ago. They said the same thing to me. But i was always under the understanding that most lumper services will not let you use any of their electrical equipment. I was about to do it, then had to jump thru hoops to find the dock foreman. So then i just said 'screw it, guys can do it'. All i had was 5 pallets of plastic garbage bags. it took them 3 hours to unload it !!!! yeah it had to get broke down, etc. but so what. I could have had it unloaded AND broke down in an hour...and that would be me taking my time !!

so it is a trade off. The company will pay $300 to unload a truck, or pay you $50. All depends on when the lumper service will get you unloaded. if they'd do a pretty quick job....i'd say let them do it. if it looks like it will take forever....i'd just accept the trade-off and get the !#$% out of there.

5. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Lumpers have been messing up so bad unloading in Tollson AZ (Fry's/Vons etc etc etc etc warehouse) that companies are now taking pictures and doing all likes of stuff to protect their loads, which adds time on the OTHER end of getting loaded.

Isn't it really odd that in the last year, the only time I have had OSD claims have been when LUMPERS have touched the load.

ONLY TIME.

:biggrin_25513:

6. Markk9

Markk9 "On your mark"

Nov 26, 2006
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    As long as the company is paying the lumper I don't care. I don't unload or sort freight, it's my job the drive the truck.

90% of the loads I have that require a lumper have a lumpers fee listed on the bills. I have seem a few places try to charge more, all it takes is a quick phone call to dispatch to sort it out. I love getting paid to bring a load back to the shipper, and then right back to the receiver. It's neat when you drive away from a receiver that really needs the stuff on your truck and they F'ed up playing the lumper game.

Mark

7. mebesg

mebesg Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Dardanelle, AR
    Messing with lumpers is just one more thing I don't get paid for. A couple of months ago when my FM made us all watch a training video (I didn't get paid for that either), I started making a likst of things I'm required to do that I don't get paid for. Here are some of them -

Fueling my truck
    Doing vehicle inspections
    Scaling, rescaling loads and sliding tandems
    DOT inspections
    Getting jerked around by customers
    Doing paperwork
    Driving in rush hour traffic
    Counting loads
    Fooling with lumpers
    Driving practical miles and getting paid shortest route miles
    Sitting in the shop
    Waiting for loads
    Sliding tandems, unhooking and pulling away from trailers so they can be unloaded,
    then rehooking and resliding
    Working 16 hour days and logging it as 9 or 10
    Fueling at a terminal and having to chase down signatures on a gate pass

Blah blah blah. I know, I know! I'd b***h if they hung me with a new rope,
    but by god, nobody wants to work for nothing, especially when the company doesn't appreciate it!

I think it should be mandatory that all Fleet Managers, as part of their orientation, go out on the road with us for a month. Think they'd last long?

Baack and chew6229 Thank this.
  8. L.B.

L.B. Third Generation Truck Driver

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    What do you O/Os do? Independents, not L/O. After all, it comes out of your pocket.

9. kalh7

kalh7 Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2007
    southern illinois
    i do most of my own unloading. can make some decent money, over 1500 some weeks. about the only time i dont do it is at places that are getting high cube deliveries. lumpers get mad at me since they say im taking money out of their pockets but they dont stop and realize they are taking money out of my pocket to begin with. they always bring up that we get paid back but that doesnt mean anything to me, still taking it from me.

10. stepnfetchit

stepnfetchit Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Monett MO
    I agree that lumpers are a PIA. However, some things I want to point out. As a former O/O (now retired) I used lumpers. Years ago most receivers would let you use jacks to unload. Then along came OSHA ( got to have a license to run one now). If you get hurt unloading (it can happen) good luck on getting any help. The receiver will not have W/C covering you, the company will say you shouldn"t have been unloading, W/C won't want to pay etc etc etc. In 99% of unloading a lumper can unload it,break it down, and get the Bills signed while you wind up with a back ache and one HELL of a Head ache after the receiver gets thru having you redo the thing. Never saw it to fail. I pulled a reefer for years and dealt with these things weekly,I saw drivers get hurt,drivers restack pallets because one layer was not right,drivers standing around waiting for receivers to count and check etc etc. Just never figured the head ache was worth it. Hauled a load one time that had 8,300 cases on it. Weighed 45000+. Company paid the driver $45 to unload it. Dispatcher told me to get a lumper. He charged $150 BUT it took over 6 hours to break it down and palletize it. He can have the $150.I went to bed. JMO and hopefully some things to think about before you have a back problem and a head ache.

11. L.B.

L.B. Third Generation Truck Driver

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    Wow I never had those problems. Most places I would load, they loaded the trailer for us anyway. Unloading was usually pretty easy for us. We also had forklift certifications to cover us under OSHA. I still have mine somewhere. When delivering at the company we hauled for they unloaded our trailers for us, since it was their product and it was usually getting broken down and going straight into other trucks for delivery or into the coolers. They had the big electric pallet jacks, and we usually had a manual pallet jack on the trailer in case deliveries played the you can't use our equipment game. Hershey loads were stacked to the ceiling, we wouldn't unload those, just wasn't worth it.

We didn't worry too much about weight either. We were always heavy. :biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.