Luzerne County Community College class action lawsuit.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Metallica88, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Metallica88

Metallica88 Medium Load Member

Nov 27, 2017
    I received my license through LCCC. I had to retake my test and failed. I'm just wondering if there is anybody else on here in the same boat. I will rise up an above this. It won't knock me down but I think LCCC should pay and i would love to try and get a lawsuit going. I've been looking online at lawyers and i just dont know where to begin the process.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    My ex got her CDL through Luzerne County Community College. She still can't back a truck though and I think the course was 6 months long.

speedyk Thanks this.
  4. Metallica88

Nov 27, 2017
    I will say looking back on it I wish we spent more time in the yard backing. Most time was spent on the road. I just can't believe Penn Dot picked LCCC with all the horror stories and company complaints about Smith and Solomon in Pittston PA

5. Metallica88

Nov 27, 2017
    Did she receive a letter from Penn Dot saying she has to retake the road test?

6. Metallica88

Nov 27, 2017
    I tried too see if I can get my cdl through Jim Palmer but they said the insurance company would classify me as a "refresher" and won't be able to accept me into the class. That was a huge disappointment. He said try Schneider. I just don't see myself as a Schneider driver though.

7. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    There is a local third party tester and small CDL school in Hawley that may help you for a small fee. Dimino Driving Academy, they do hourly rentals of their truck for practice and will then test you. They don't cheat and take shortcuts but they also don't nitpick. This will get your CDL privileges reinstated with PennDOT and then you should be able to get on with your career.

And yes, as a former PA third party examiner myself I agree that LCCC should be held accountable for their failure to conduct proper third party testing. This jeopardizes public safety and discredits the entire third party exam system. I would support a class action lawsuit against them. Especially given that they are a State accredited learning institution and students have a reasonable expectation to obtain a proper education and assessment at such. It isn't like you went to Joe's House of Trucking and took the three hour CDL special.

Let me know if you ever find the lawyer for a class action, I am admitted (qualified) to testify in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, California, New Mexico, New York, and New Jersey as a expert witness on transportation and commercial driving. I would love to work on this one.

Metallica88 Thanks this.
  8. Metallica88

Nov 27, 2017
    Thank you so much for the info it's much appreciated. I just started doing research today about a lawyer. If I find one I will let you know. I don't think they should just get away with this. People paid good money for a service that wasn't provided.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  9. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    I think filing a lawsuit would take longer than it would to just bite the bullet and get a refresher course.

But lets be honest here, what are you hoping to obtain? A refund? Their defense will be that you didn't take to the information that was given, they will show records dictating where you spent X amount of hours doing such tasks, and then they show other students who spent similar amounts of time and passed without issue.

I think you're wasting your time and should just do as another suggested.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  10. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    The issue with Luzerne County Community College is they provided training, completed the test as a third party tester and the students were then issued licenses. After a period of time the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation audited the school and found their third party tester was not in compliance requiring many former students to retake their CDL practical exams.

That is where the lawsuit comes in, not from the OP failing his retest at the state run exam site. It is obvious, no insult intended to the OP, that LCCC failed to do their duty as a PA state accredited learning institution and state certified CDL testing facility given that the OP was unable to pass a new exam administered by a different driver license examiner.

The failure of LCCC to operate a legal and compliant CDL third party testing facility is the main basis for a lawsuit.

Here is the news story covering the fraud by the community college.
    PennDOT probing LCCC CDL program

11. Metallica88

Nov 27, 2017
    For me it's about not just letting them get away it. I payed for a service. They screwed up and now my life is flipped upside down.

Fuelinmyveins and brian991219 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.