M11 valve adjustment

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by jeffl0123, Jan 24, 2021.

1. jeffl0123

jeffl0123 Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Ok need a little help with this one. I need to adjust my valves and injectors on a 99 International 8100 with the Cummins M11 Celect Plus engine. There are no marks on the accessory pulley. I have wire wheeled it and looked everywhere and nothing. So question. Do I pull the number 1 injector, bring to TDC and start with 1 and then ABC two times and go 1, 5, 3, 6, 2, 4. I also was thinking that I can just visually look at each cylinder and find valve overlap on a cylinder, start my adjusting at that cylinder and go by the overlap at each additional. Reason I need to do it is first, I don't even know when it was last done. I bought it about 1 1/2 years ago and I never did it. And a guy I brought over to help me is not missing in action. We are installing jakes on the engine and instead of installing the jake adjustment screws on my rockers, he used the ones of the rocker assemblies that came with the jakes I got used. So obviously I cannot go by those adjustments. (I guess I also need to know if Im on comp or exh stroke?)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Inderjit

Inderjit Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Here is a pic out of the manual. The marks can be very lightly stamped and hard to see.
    [​IMG]

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  4. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    The A B C marks are not on TDC. Look for them real hard. There is also a TDC mark and they maybe on the other side of the belt groove.
    I have done what you are talking about with companion cylinder method but you can throw the book out for that. That works fine for the valves but may not for the injectors. Cummins used this A B C mark system for many different engines over many years with several different types of injectors. So do not go read something on the net and thank it automatically applies to you engine. The one I did that way had the acc drive put in out of time.
    I prefer to adjust the valves first without the Jakes on some engines. May require spacers under some rocker shaft bolts but I know it is 100%. Then install the Jakes. Sometimes I just torque the adjuster to about 3 inch Lbs and lock it down. If the feeler slides OK pull it out and I am done. Surely that is a little short and skipping steps for some. Next time I have a L9000 with a 3406 and Jakes I would appreciate your help on the back three.
    Go with Inderjit. He has good post and knowledge.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted