mack pinnacle good choice for dump truck

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by kestrel1, Jul 20, 2017.

1. kestrel1

kestrel1 Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Hey guys,

Just looking for as much input as possible on this topic. Long story short, my 94 W900 which is a great runner is getting pushed off the road due to emission standards. (CA owner operator) So I'm looking for a newer rig to meet standards. Ive found a few nice Mack Pinnacle CXU613 with ideal wheelbase where I can swap my 15' rock box, enough HP for what i need, and reasonably priced. I don't know much about the Mack trucks and their MP8 motors, but the little I've heard is pretty positive. My concern is with the frame and chassis, and wondering if they're built strong enough for everyday use as dump truck. Usually carry around 12 ton, but sometimes tipping at funny angles, putting strain on frame etc. Im sure you dump truck drivers know what Im talking about. Any info much appreciated.

Thanks Kes

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    As far as dump trucks go, it's tough to kill a Pure Bred Bulldog with Camelback.

You may not have the most fun driving it though!

Although about their newer emission motors I only know one guy that had an 08 Mack motor and it was nothing but trouble for him.

4. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    What year do you have to get. Is 2007 the oldest you can run (must have dpf???) if you can somehow get an egr motor the mack e7 is a good one. I believe in a dump it will be the ai e7 and not the ac/aset

5. Dirty-Low-Walker

Dirty-Low-Walker Medium Load Member

Dec 17, 2013
    If you are serious about that model take the serial number and look up the specs to see if it is compatable to what you need, 12 ton is a light haul where i work.

6. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    I drive a Mack Pinnacle transfer dump-truck and trailer. They're ugly but they turn well, are light, strong, have a short nose ideal for tight situations, and seem pretty durable. The interior is cheap but not like a Freightliner. They're not Petes-they are a solid work truck.

7. johnboy023

johnboy023 Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Im in one now pulling a pneumatic trailer. Rough riding short wheelbase but it seems pretty solid. No issues as it seems to be tough as a piece of iron.....the same as your backside will be after riding in it for a week.

8. gra511

gra511 Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2014
    If you would like some good advise on anything Mack go to ,BIG MACKS website. This website is operated by a mack dealer in Pa. It has several thousand members and covers everything from B model macks to the new ones. Many members are owner operators and mack mechanics that are free with their advice.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.