Made decision to be my own man and not leech off my rich father

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Trucks66, Jan 25, 2019.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    If that’s what they want to do, then no.

buddyd157, Feedman and TripleSix Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    My dad bought my first pickup for me. A 69 Chevy C-10 for $875. I worked and bought parts and he helped me get it running. I payed him back as soon as I could for the pickup. After that he co-signed for me since I had no credit on my next couple pickups. Today at age 28 I own my own truck and trailer, paid off a trailer house and just bought 14 acres to put it on, have a awesome wife and the cutest 3 month old baby girl you ever saw. Was my dad harsh for not helping me more? Maybe so, but I'm glad I don't still live at home and never learned responsibility.

4. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    It is if you want them to live in today's society. I'm not saying yes or no personally.

5. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    What’s wrong with sexy?

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  6. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    Shhh It's a sin for your Dad and mine help his son to get started in life according to these guys. My Dad loaned me $2500 and cosigned my first truck and trailer that cost $10,500 for both. provided parking, tools, garage when weather was bad and the knowledge to fix the #### thing when it broke. He even bought me a few tires early on. But after 2 maybe 3 years I had the bull by the horns. He offered after that but declined because I was going to be like him and depend on nobody. What a disgrace our Dads were.
    But then there is my sister, 2 kids to 2 different guys, never married, Dad bought her house, every car she has ever owned even the last one 6-8 months ago. Never amounted to anything so far. Why? Cause Daddy will buy it for her.

cleanbyrd and OldeSkool Thank this.
  7. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    Right on!!!!!

8. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I’m surprised that you haven’t jumped out a window with what happened this week...

9. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Loaning you money is one thing, it's when people think "daddy's got money why should I have to pay for my own anything" that I find ridiculous, doesn't matter if its a son or daughter.

Brettj3876, cleanbyrd, Feedman and 2 others Thank this.
  10. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Let’s not forget that it was the parents of the Millenial Generation that went out and bought tons of Participation Ribbons so that their kids wouldn’t have to feel the pain and horror of losing that they had to deal with when they were growing up.
    #neverforget

Slim51, buddyd157, IluvCATS and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    No stupid is assuming your daughters are clueless and can't support themselves, while you can't bring your son up through the business he may end up taking over.

All my kids are independent but I brought them up to understand how my business works. If I am unable to make decisions the oldest three can step in and run the business. The oldest two have their CDL and the oldest is running three different online businesses and teaching in something she is passionate about.

Kicking your kid to the curb to learn life lessons is rather ... stupid and lazy. I've already been criticized for how I brought them up, so I know I did right, I followed advice of others who did the same thing and their kids turned out better equipped than many of those who were kicked out at 18.

cleanbyrd, Slim51 and TankerP Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.