Magnum LTL (my first foray into the LTL world)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by hotrod1653, Jul 12, 2021.

1. hotrod1653

hotrod1653 Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Somewhere in America
    Started today with Magnum LTL. They are a different division of Magnum than the truck load side. So far today all we did was paperwork and watch some videos.

I’ll be doing P&D. After 20+ years as a road driver, this will be a big change for me.

Wish me luck!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Good luck. See lots on I-29.

bzinger and hotrod1653 Thank this.
  4. Aoki Gahara

Aoki Gahara Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2021
    good luck with residential deliveries ...not the greatest rep being that they are basically what Brown Transfer was. It will be what you make of it ultimately though, being that they are Magnum now, hopefully the whole routine changes.

5. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    What terminal are you out of? I'm sure you already noticed, but Mark is about halfway out the door on his way to the nut house. Luckily, once your done with orientation, you'll probably never have to deal with him again.

As far as brown transfer, yes they did buy them. Things will change over there for the better, at least as far as the equipment is concerned. Magnum has been slowly pushing tractors into the brown system for the last few months and will continue to do so. I've personally driven about half a dozen down from Fargo to Sioux Falls in the last two months that were destined to end up at the old brown locations.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  6. hotrod1653

Aug 29, 2009
    Somewhere in America
    I’m out of Fargo, residential won’t bother me. I signed to work, and don’t mind doing that.

Day 2 was pretty good. We did road tests today, talked some defensive driving and had the shop rep in. Tomorrow is the HM day which will be fun.

I’m hoping I can do well here. I’ve spent 99.9% of my career OTR, and am tired of it. To me these guys will be better than XPO (who I didn’t hear from nor did they return my calls and neither did Estes). The biggest adjustment will be being home every night tbh, but now that I have a special lady in my life it’ll make life and adjusting easier.

Trucker61016, bzinger and Aoki Gahara Thank this.
  7. Aoki Gahara

Aoki Gahara Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2021
    sounds like you'll do ok and certainly Magnum being the face has to be better. I just hope the whole dock and freight mismanagement is being changed for your sake. Some terminals are better than others of course! Good luck, sounds like life is gonna be good.

hotrod1653 and bzinger Thank this.
  8. hotrod1653

Aug 29, 2009
    Somewhere in America
    Day 3 in the books. Tomorrow I start the ojt part of it. Learning routes, the system etc. I’m really looking forward to this.

I’ll post more tomorrow.

Need4Speed, Trucker61016 and bzinger Thank this.
  9. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    I work in Fargo. Trust me, be glad they didn’t call. Btw, online application only.

10. hotrod1653

Aug 29, 2009
    Somewhere in America
    I did online apps for all 3, I’m not really disappointed that XPO didn’t call tbh. I had to ask myself, why such a hiring bonus? I knew the turn over was and is atrocious with XPO. Magnum called me the day after I filed.

I’m feeling like I made the right choice.

Trucker61016, upnorthwpg and bzinger Thank this.
  11. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    Following. You've been a big help to me in answering my questions in other threads (not related to this thread). I was only OTR 2 years before I went LTL so I'm curious how it will go for you as I am doing P&D now as well. Good luck to you!

Trucker61016 and bzinger Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.