Major eld failure ?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Andystrans, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Andystrans

Andystrans Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2018
    So came across this on Facebook today
    Major ELD Failure Leaves Thousands of Drivers Reverting to Paper Logs
    My questions are:
    1st. what about the drivers who never filled out a paper log before?
    2nd. How soon do you think the more popular truck stops will run out of paper logs?
    3rd. Can someone get a Hos violation because of this (maybe they don’t know how to use paper logs or can’t get one)
    Any thoughts ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Hopefully they have the legally required 8 pages of logs in their truck.

Coffey Thanks this.
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    1. A few sure, but that's typically in CDL classes anyway. For the one's that are truly clueless I'm sure there are youtube videos of how to do it...
    2. Well, they should have at least 8 blank pages, and most every truck has a full log book in it, so a month. Which is actually illegal as by law it has to be fixed in 8 days...
    3. Yes, if they don't know their job and log incorrectly then they can get in trouble for it.

bryan21384 and Andystrans Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I estimate a large percentage of new drivers do not recieve training in paper logs in any meaningful way. My own training in 1989 was three weeks 10 hours a day in the passenger seat until I memorized the legal way, the company way and the many book way.

They probably are out already creating a situation of cascade across the USA. There is a tiny stop off 29 in US 67 here in White COunty that might have 8 paper logs for sale from Keller. Not enough to satisfy the sudden demand.

Yes absolutely violate. Not knowing is not a excuse or defense against the requirement to have the last 8 days current to the last change of your duty status at all times on you ready to present on demand to any DOT. By indirect your company now has a BIG problem. They demand lasts 8 days right now from all drivers who cannot provide it.

The few old drivers can. And they are allowed to roll on. The rest will likely have to sit.

Qualcomm has a massive problem. If a computer system fails a firmware update, it is essentially junk. Brick. Dead. Pet rock. Throw it away. Get another.

6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    "Drivers’ logs from the previous seven days were wiped out"

This is what will cause the biggest issues... Usually if a unit fails the driver can get his previous 7 days emailed to him by his company. However if the those days were wiped out??? Unless the driver pays very close attention to his hours most will not know how many hours they have left. I rarely pay that close attention anymore since I'm not on paper.

Sounds to me like alot of drivers just got a fresh 70 hrs... At least if I had been affected by this outage I would have a fresh 70 hrs... I could could recolor the book to look good when the system came back online... Lol

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Did they get deleted from the server or just the local device? I'm not finding anything either way. If it's just the local device, which is what it looks like as it's a gps bug the server copies should be fine and once Omni pulls their head out of their backside and learn how to correctly sign numbers in their programming it should work. Well once the firmware gets downloaded and then the data can be resynced.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There is going to be one hell of alot of violating by DOT once they wake up to the issue and start mobilizing to capture anyone not running paper logs by morning so to speak. Maybe the President will need to suspend electronic ELD laws for 30 days by Order until the entire Industry repairs the electronic losses.

The solution is to run a paper log alongside the electronic logs at all times to last duty status. I know i would. Logging is not a problem to me. But not to have anything at all going back 8 days with a variety of scale passage, toll stamps, bill date and time stamps in different locations and so on soforth and fuel tickets and so on. You have been working.

So the fresh 70 idea is kaput. To be moving without logs at all is a violation so you have to stop and stay until you have logs.

Theoratically you can build a log from a child's school notebook with lines in it going back 8 days with the required information such as company name, your name, truck information, HQ location etc etc etc. But I don't know if DOT will accept such a thing.

I think tomorrow and the rest of this week, the enormity of truckers being unable to do anything will become apparent.

Someone botched this very badly and will need to be held to account. Not all truckers are that good in America. Way too many could not be bothered to learn how to hit the update function on their truck unit etc. Not while they are in the dollar store looking for new flip flops.

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  9. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    So much for being the reliable one. I haven't been in my truck since Thursday, so I don't know how EROAD has fared, but it was fine in March, just other issues stemming from not connecting to cellular network.

D.Tibbitt and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I would say so much for the provision to switch to paper logs. Imagine 1 million truckers needing a copy of Keller right now. We are what? 10,000 truckstops with maybe 9 copies of logs on hand? 90,000 will buy a Keller tonight but the large majority would have nothing. If they never cared to bother with paper logging. (Or learn it.)

11. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The President doesn’t need to do anything just because one company has issues. And technically it’s illegal to have paper and and ELD.

12. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Sure there are all those other points of referance that show you were working... But no roadside inspection is going to check against all that. Once the system is back online you go back over your paper logs and color it in to look good and match up with where the ELD quit, and any fueling or tolling receipts.

Is it legal?... Hell no! Has it been done before?... You and I both know the answer to that...

Hammer166, Tx Countryboy and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.