Making a billion to make a million

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Midwest Trucker, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    F1740713-AEC3-4D55-A98C-2E673D10339B.gif

Did I win!?!!!!??

I’m buying 50 trucks if so.
    #Lottery

Kyle G. Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest Trucker

Aug 31, 2018
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There is or was reported a hour ago a winning lotto for 1.6 billion sold in SC.

Federal Taxes withhold 24% off the bat. Then the top rate on the first tax return filed next Feb or so will be right at 37% then the difference between 24 to 37 will be assessed. Followed by the State Taxes. Then any local taxes if need be which would be a additional 8% or more. That 1.6 billion will reduce to around 600 million give or take 100 depending on if you live in a state tax state or not. That will be distributed among the 44 states. So... one billion divided by 44 states comes to 27 million or so each.

There might still be some concise articles related to how much winnings to taxes on lump sum. Otherwise it's a 29 year annuity with each year being approximately 5 to 8% greater than the previous year for inflation purposes. You wont get more money but your payouts annually will try to keep up. Using the CPI as index similar to COLA.

If you wanted to buy a fleet of brand new retail tractor trailers it's going to run you a cool 180 million for the tractors, around 1200 of them. 72 Million for the 1200 trailers. You generally bought extras. So call it 100 million. Now you are up to 300 million spent.

Your fuel burn daily will be 3.50 a gallon times 300 gallons per truck at a cool 1260000 or 37 point 8 million every 30 days. Three months fuel will run you 100 million give or take a little bit.

That's 400 millon spent. I don't know how long your 200 millions remaining will last. Thus...

I hope your revenue has kept up. It should come out to 2 million income a day, or 60 million a month at 2.50 a mile loaded running 600 miles daily per truck. in 6 months your revenue will be around. 360 million, enough to close out the rest of the 6 month fiscal year at a total gross of about 800 million against your initial 600 million investment to the new company you built. That should be enough to pay off any shop, ternimals, payroll etc.

5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    One more thought that escaped me, normally reserved for airlines, railraods etc. That consume enormous fuel.

I would use a part of that 200 mil to establish a one time annual purchase of fuel and maybe have it stored until it's burned in the trucks. That way if i can get it for 3.00 a gallon instead of 3.50, enough for a year or even 6 months it would be worth it. I could provide for a fuel farm off site and have a group of tankers run it

Tires will be the smallest expense. Something like 10 virgin Michelin per tractor every October. That will come out to 12000 tires at 6 million total at 500 each for all of them.

Where possible the bulk of the remaining 200 million will be sent to the annual corporate taxes. If it is too expensive to remain private, I can issue stock offering and that should bring in a goodly amount for better or worse with dividends paid each year after.

I have no idea what insurance on 1200 rigs, drivers etc would come out to. I suppose it will cause any major insurance regulator or carrier will have a sort of a escape from reality with a high on all that premium money. I probably will self insure where possible at 250K per truck in addition to what is necessary for state and or federal requirements.

6. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    the government said thanks for the tax money from the lottery they can now focus more time on making new trucking regulations lol

Mooseontheloose, 25(2)+2 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    How about fix the roads first so we can afford to pay their fines, is that an unreasonable request?

Mooseontheloose and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. Midwest Trucker

Aug 31, 2018
    Haha love that analysis x1Heavy.

We will go with 5000 per tractor and 1000 per trailer for insurance.

1200 tractor = $6,000,000/yr
    1200 trailer = $1,200,000/yr

Not bad!

Now, can we run these 1200 tractors on the spot market or do we need contracts? How much are we going to pay drivers? Benefits?

Dang, if only had I won. There goes $15

Mooseontheloose and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That's going to have to come out of revenue. Benefits probably half across the board with drivers. I would prefer the health insurance to have a tiny deductable say 2500 for a hospital, trauma or ER incident. Not 10K or god knows how much.

This is motivated by my recent change in Medicare, my provider told me that I will be paying a few dollars more a month for a stronger insurance intended to fight heart failure once a formal diagnosis confirms the same in the near future. We had a battle on the phone because no one has officially informed me that is what I have and additional insurance will have to be brought on line for new stents valves or whatever, should i choose to go that route. We finally agreed to get the Heart Surgeon to run another set of tests which will cost around 4K to confirm or deny that diagnosis specifically. My cost will be less than a thousand.

If a trucker in my company has to pay that kind of money for a medical issue requiring time off and so on? I don't have the ... **Hunts for words patience for that kind of headache. All I can see is money going out the wide open window into the dead of winter with the heat on full. It's useless.

I would be looking at McKesson teams mostly. And there 4 other providers of medicines, medical sharps, tools and god knows what else such as chemo treatments etc. Team trucks start at 1.00 a mile. Governed at 90. 650 horse Everything else will just have to be appropriate to that type of work. Surveillance cameras around the rig with audio and recording to remote offsite where possible would come in handy. Drivers will show licensing for weapons carry and those will only go to states that permit that kind of carry. Obviously if they commit a crime or do something stupid we cannot help them except to recover the truck and load most especially.

Other benefits probably will have to be more common depending on what the driver needs or wants. I would be reluctant to bring in newbies because there will be a small division of about 40 trucks and trailers busy breaking them in over 6months to a year. IF they did good, then they will be assigned the medicine runs.

I don't know what it will take to insure drivers for load values in excess of one million. Thee are more I don't knows than what I can take a wild guess at.

The main thing that they will have to be on time.

And that money will burn rather quickly for everyone. Hopefully there is enough revenue earned after expenses the keep the whole thing going. Otherwise it would be a 600 million dollar bust.

I think that's enough from me in this topic, it's painfully obvious either I have no idea what I am talking about (Which is a fair assessment) or have been drinking some of that bourbon a bit much and should pour the rest out.

at the end of the day, the lucky winner in SC (One of 8 states that absolutely protect a winners anonymous identity) is going to need to do some good with that money. Otherwise it's a monumental waste. SO many lotto winners in Maryland while I was still young ran out and bought half million dollar mansions own in Howard County in the old Federalist-Colonial Style. Very nice and pretty for that region. But ultimately declared BK after less than a decade because the property taxes were in the tens of thousands per annum. Even then it's probably a prety good investment being a bedroom Community to the US Government at DC and surrounding area. Probably worth a million plus or more.

10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    You drink bourbon on top of all the opioids you take? That's probably not doing much for your longevity.

4mer trucker and Jazz1 Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    No. I use the bourbon as a prop for some of the crazy situations in the past. Ive been sober from Alcohol since 1985 and only drink three times annually, two at meals and once for a special annivesary of a death of a dear friend in memory of. And even then not that much.

The opioid front is changing. This is my first anniversary since the medical stay last year which saved my life from excessive blood pressure and broke the grip that the previous pill mill doctor had me on prior to that problem. So that vicious circle got stopped. The State were involved in finding a good doctor who explictly restricted my current medicines to a level low enough never to be a problem like last year. It's been almost a year now and pending certain heart tests in the next few weeks. I will be referred to a new doctor for pernament pain control among other things.

For the time being it's a very strict controlled level of medicine, lower than what it needs to be and at the same time exactly what I can use to enjoy life without dependance or addiciton. If you were to look at the blood pressure which itself is a seperate and very serious issue, it's less of a problem now than last year. I had the same issue back when I was trucking at 21. Lost my DOT medical then and lost it as long the BP remains high. We are also working on that issue as well. That again is combined with the important heart tests they plan on doing. The results of that is everything for life now and into the future.

If there is heart failure below Ejection factor of 50, the opiates and all medicines must be stopped one month. And retested again vs the new EF value. Should it improve to 60 and above then we will go from there. They have special medicines between Opiates and What we call Aleve and Moltrin, the problem becomes the stomach lining and liver. I am on a new medicine called Meloxicam. This is essentially Aleve with a HUGE punch. That medicine strictly fights arthritis that I have system wide among other problems such as bone loss. It is turning out to be the one medicine when a dose is reached we can dispose of the opiates and once that happens (I only need 3 days to finish withdrawl and 10 to get it all out of the system vs DOT blood and Urine tests. Hair will need 7 months.

The Bone loss is irrevocable and at some point a few years from now Im going to cough and somewhere in my T Section of the spine will simply SNAP. If I live or die will depend on where it snaps and if I end up int he wheel chair will be decided that day as well. The boneloss is not welcome. Makes me very angry actually. And I learn to feed off that energy to... fight to solve problems now while the bones are still in one peice while i can.

The reason we are doing these things is because I am arranging for a very special program allowed by Social Security to return to work for exactly 9 months. Whatever I make in that time I keep after taxes. It is also a specific experiment in breaking out of the Disability possibly. That is what the program is for.

I have many things going on and have had for about 12 years now. More than that when you associate the body damage to trucking itself. The State and DEA on the war on Drugs has created a situation where you can choose to stay a addict. (Hell no) or you can find a different medicine like the one I wrote about that presents a good possibility to get off pain medicine. And even to stop a couple of other medicines as well. All of that rides on the upcoming series of heart tests, I'll be taking a battery of 4 to 6 individual tests in the hospital over 3 days. When that is finished and the data, video, scans etc are all put together, we will know what my future holds. (If I have a future. One doctor thinks 6 months from this month is what I have no more than that)

In short I am a warrior. The medicnes have run their course and I am working with the doctors to reclaim my life away from them. You will find that very very few people attempt what I am attempting. It's my nature to fight. It not the first time. I defeated sexual predators, then bullies then drinking addiciton, that was the biggie. Then stopped the smoking that was hurting me and finally stopped the mental health drugs about 7 years ago which I recognized as a dangerous threat to my future. So I stopped those. Cleaned up my wife and myself we both stopped mental health. God has been our Doctor so to speak.

I like my drinks. But I also understand that within the structure of why and never drinking alone and never more than two shots exactly or equivalent over the holiday dinners and that one anniversary that's all there is to it.

When I started trucking trainers taught me how to drink and drive without airride in those days on the class A before the 1991 CDL laws. Essentially drunken driving a semi truck. I look back on those days and feel a form of disgust and revulsion. All the company has to do is buy equiptment with airride and all of that foolishness goes away. My brother was also addicted to drinking with the SAC in the airforce. It did not help that we watched him drink in our Tavern of all places. HE broke that addiction and is doing AWESOME. That example plus strong family support (One of which was a employer who held the power of firing over my drunken head) managed to get that silly stuff stopped.

Anyway. I think you get the picture. I don't mind sharing my story. If it prevents others from having to endure the same things or worse. Medicine is wonderful to a point. Then it becomes a enemy against you. Same thing with drinking and anything else in life.

Mooseontheloose and 88 Alpha Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.