Making a change

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by cabbiesouth, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cabbiesouth

cabbiesouth Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Trinity
    Hello all, I've been a Taxi Driver for over 23 years. Not sure if I did this right . But I went out and got a CDL A. No school just took the test in a friends truck. I'm licensed by the City of Houston with homeland security and something like a DOT physical, drug test and all the back ground checks that come with it. Anyone have a dry pocket?
    But my past sucks . My last DUI was in 94. I drive over 400 miles a day. In all these years I have only had one speeding ticket. Put a stop to the drinking in 94, no drugs. Looking for a job with Swift. My Question is will my DUI's from my past be held against me for the rest of my life? I've contracted with Tex-tot and they seem to be alright with it. Got good people at work that will stand up for me, been there 20 years. My safety man is on my side
    What do you guys think about sharing the road with a guy with that kind of baggage?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The New Yorker

The New Yorker Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2005
    ZOO York
    If your being honest, nae, good luck. Although some type of schooling would be nice.

4. cabbiesouth

Feb 24, 2007
    Trinity
    That's my plan. As a cab driver all these years my company still likes for us to take a defensive driving course every couple of years. I feel it's a good idea, but still go on about why me and all that and try to get out of it. I still go anyway and find I always learn something I forgot.
    Looking for a good outfit that will train me the right way and hopefully get a good trainer, as in a team mentor. Been hanging out at some truck stops here in Houston and quite frankly wonder how some guys got a job as a truck driver. I'm a old school professional Taxi driver that tries to do my job the right way. I understand getting into a rig that is big as a house is chalk full dangers that I don't understand. looking for solid advice on how to become a Trucker without getting ripped off. I know allot of my fellow taxi drivers couldn't find their ### with both hands and I don't want to be that kind of trucker. Any help from you guys would be great

P S I have thick skin and know it all wash of in the shower.

5. Cerberus101

Cerberus101 Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Georgia
    first off welcome to the forum. second what baggage ? that last dui was 13 yrs ago, most companies only go back 7 yrs. think really good before you decide to get into trucking. it's not a cake walk like most people think. and the money isn't as great as people think either.( thats adding everything together) and think twice about swift. not a good company to get iyour feet wet with. there are so many more better choices to make.

6. cabbiesouth

Feb 24, 2007
    Trinity
    Just paranoid about the DUI's. other than that I'm proud about my driving. I understand trucking is far from a bed of roses. Working as a Hack here in Houston has soured for me and I'm looking forward to a change. I've been driving and finding address for years, IT'S WHAT I DO. I'm an owner at the moment. Trucking is like the big Brother I never knew, and I just looked him up. Not sure if I like him yet.
    I'm going slow and looking around before I jump on board. Swift is just one place that talked to me and from what I read I better think about that one long and hard. I thought it best to have a CDL in my pocket in any case.
    I drove truck illegal in California when I was in my twenty's. Produce and chickens, middle of the night stuff. Around here in Texas some folks say I should get my feet wet doing some logging work, but here I go again. What's the weight? Are they wet, dry or what. Thanks Cerberus. I'm looking and thinking.:sign2:

7. Cerberus101

Cerberus101 Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Georgia
    glad i could help. i'll try my best to answer any questions you got or at least point you in the direction to find your answers. what do you mean by weight and wet,dry ? just want to answer right.

8. cabbiesouth

Feb 24, 2007
    Trinity
    some guys around here pay more if you are overweight, to drive a logging truck.

9. cabbiesouth

Feb 24, 2007
    Trinity
    :cheers: It seems that my driving history is fine. otherwise the City of Houston would not issue me a permit to drive passengers. I've been contacted by Swift and they would like to send me orientation in Lancaster TX.
    Also have been contacted by schneider, Maverick and several others. Plan on reading and surfing the net, to make an unformed choice. also hang out at some big truck stops here in the Houston area.
    I'm on my way on Monday down to the ship channel and wallisville and McCarty roads. will stop and talk shop with the drivers I find there. I will make the rounds to see where I can someone willing to let me crawl around a Truck or two......
    But realize that I still need training and want to do it on the cheep. Any Ideas out there would be a great help. Most of what I have read here and on other blogs is great stuff, and look forward any tips on driving jobs, safety issues and general knowledge. Thanks guys.

10. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    :smt061 Look in to the local colleges and trade schools. That's the BEST way to get the educational training that you need. That way you don't have to sell your soul to some company over tution........
    There has to be several colleges in the Greater Houston area and I'll bet if you think about it you'll know right where they are since you know the city and the area so well. Good Luck :hello1:
    Trish

11. cabbiesouth

Feb 24, 2007
    Trinity
    Thanks NightWind. you are right and I do know where they are at. I've been looking at North Harris community College. It would work out great, as I would still drive my Cab and then go to class. Has anyone out there ever heard of this place and if so what should I expect?
    I'm a can do kind of person. It's just as I drive all over the place I see Trucks everywhere and want to get in one. Found out that the city of Houston permit requirements and DOT are the same. Not sure about the drug test, but the City uses a 5 panel test, are they the same?
    Since I already have my CDL A I should have a leg up in that regard. I'm currently required to have defensive driving every two years with the Company that I work for now.
    So a change of plan! Monday contact North Harris.:faroah:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.