Making decisions

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by TripleSix, Sep 20, 2018.

1. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    A guy I used to work for always said "If we're going to have a swim team, someone's gotta get wet."

shogun, MagnumaMoose, stwik and 6 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    I hate this thread

Maybe....

shogun, MagnumaMoose, sawmill and 4 others Thank this.
  4. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I remember driving with my niece on her learners permit. Man I thought she would total my truck at least 10 times.

When stopped trying to pull out of a store/parking lot/whatever, she is indecisive. She waits forever and goes at the wrong time. Realizing this she will stop dead. In the middle of the road.

5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    If you decide to be an A Hole, be the King of A Holes. ;)

shogun, MACK E-6, LoneCowboy and 4 others Thank this.
  6. Lav-25

Lav-25 Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Remember what Forrest Gump said, and then you'll understand about 99% of people actions.

7. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    I've never really understood why people do that pass you and then puii up 100 yards later, why not just sit behind and wait 2 more seconds? My second pet hate is when people pull out in front of a fast moving truck and instead of putting there foot down and getting up to speed just cruise along like no ones behind them If only they new just how much ciaos that causes the poor truck driver.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    cke, D.Tibbitt, sawmill and 2 others Thank this.
  8. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Both of these just make me want to go on a muderous rampage.

cke, Woodys, LoneCowboy and 1 other person Thank this.
  9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Have you ever been rolling in the rig in the right lane, traffic to your left, and a line of traffic coming on the on ramp? Yes, we do this every minute of our day. Your mind is wired to make blink of an eye decision. Click click click, rapid fire, 30 decisions made in 1 second. You’ve adjusted your speed to allow the traffic to merge. BUT, somethings wrong. There is a car on the ramp that is indecisive. He can’t decide where to get on. Does he get in front of you or behind you? You adjust again.

“BLAST IT ALL TO HELL, HE’S GOING TO STOP!”

You can’t stop. You’re on the big road and your coming to a halt would be extremely dangerous. The ONLY reason that you ever stop is when traffic has stopped in front of you. So, you decide to keep going. “Sorry folks. You guys should learn how to merge.”

BamBamBamBamBam 6 car pile up.

Most cars are driven by indecisive people. Then they see trucks and think that they can drive. If you are having difficulty getting your car on the highway, how are you going to do a truck?

You have to program the mind to make rapid fire decisions. It’s like a fighter’s stance. In boxing, it’s NOT the hands that’s important, it’s the feet. Ever watch how they turn and pivot? That’s why they call it dancing. The fighter that can not adjust as quickly is going to get KTFO.

Write this down, new people...you will hear this term a lot in the trucking industry:
    A steeringwheelholder is a person that’s driving a big rig that cannot make adjustments fast enough to drive a truck safely.

A DRIVER is a person that can make the mental adjustment to drive anything on planet earth.

A Trucker is the organic part of a truck.

Ever see what a fighter can do to the average person? In a scuffle, he will beat down 3-5 opponents.
    If you’re running down the road on an open highway, no problem, right? A 3 year old can hold a steering wheel and go down the road in the Midwest. Put him in a major metropolitan area and a 3 year old will not make 30 feet. Why not? You have to make to many adjustments too quickly. Every adjustment requires a decision. Rapid fire.

Bad weather, slick roads, rain. Braindeads playing in traffic. You must make adjustments constantly.

Wiggle wagons, tanker yankers, heavy haul. When steeringwheelholders slip through the cracks and get into one of these wagons, the results are catastrophic. The guys that do well can make adjustments in their sleep.

Shipper asks you, “How do you want it loaded?” CLICK, decision made. In our line of work, it’s usually loaded with a crane. You look at the load as it’s lifted by the crane. You show them how far back you want the load first, then you step to either the rear of the trailer or up on the catwalk and get it loaded evenly. Some loads are not even, the weight may be on one side or 1 end. You load it evenly for weight if it’s heavy. And you have a whole crew of riggers and the crane operator looking to you for a decision. Get it wrong, and it can potentially bite your arse off.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    sawmill, stwik, cke and 8 others Thank this.
  10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Some people are just insecure and afraid to be wrong, or worse, afraid of being fired for being wrong.

11. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    I had a situation like that today, coming up to a T intersection at two highways. I have the right of way, and sitting at the intersection waiting to turn is a 14 wide mobile home about five feet in my lane. To add to that’s, it’s raining pretty good.

If I stop, he can’t turn anyways or he will hit me, and traffic behind me won’t expect it so we will all be sitting there. Got a car coming towards me, but I have time to swing wide, squeeze between him and the tree he is pushing me against, and keep rolling. Lots of people panic and are indecisive in those situations.

sawmill, PoleCrusher, SAR and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.