Man dies after being pinned by truck at Sioux City business

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Bud A., Jul 22, 2017.

1. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    Man dies after being pinned by truck at Sioux City business

I feel bad for everyone involved in this. I wonder if the driver knew the guy was back there. Sometimes you GOAL and someone will walk behind your truck as you're walking back to the cab.

I've always had a fear of doing this. If I know someone is behind the truck and I can't see them in the mirrors, I pull the brakes. I've had guys at shippers and receivers get irritated when I do that, but they calm down when I explain that I don't want to run over them, and if I can't see them in my mirrors, I might.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Hell, I've seen so many idiots walk, (or drive, for that matter,) behind trucks that are backing up, that it's unbelievable they have lived as long as they have. It just goes back to the simple fact, that if you are working around moving machinery, or equipment, get your head up and out of your arse, and get your ears and eyes open.
    This is a horrible situation, for everyone. And it could have been prevented, by the victim.
    I really feel sorry for the driver here.

4. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Ditto, not moving until I know where they are. I don't trust dock lights either, it turns green I get out and check.

I feel for the driver, life can change in an instant.

Bud A. and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  5. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Any time I'm in a situation where I might kill someone who does something stupid (backing, pulling out of a shop where someone might get stupid and get back under the trailer right when i'm pulling out) I open my windows and move slowly. I'd like to hear the panicked screams and get the chance to stop before I accidentally kill someone.

tinytim and Bud A. Thank this.
  6. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Recently had someone zip behind me on a freakin motorcycle.

7. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    I dont think their is anyway to avoid the ignorance of others. It wont matter how much GOAL a driver does. The ignorant will still do things that are just plain wrong. Our diligence sometimes is not enough. Be grateful that it wasnt you driving the truck and dont let it bother you. SH - - happens.

Jazz1, Western flyer and longbedGTs Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's a shame.

I once got out of my rig in the bullpen at Fort Collins CO at the meat plant there. I had just finished a epic 2000 mile run to get there among other problems in my life that night. It was about 8 oclock in the evening, dark and fixing to storm. Very tired I stumbled towards the washbay which has two or three steel docks not far from where I had dropped the trailer to get cleaned.

I saw my trailer coming straight back for me at very high speed and wondered I just drove that #### trailer what is it doing now? Fixing to kill me. I dove after two giant steps. Fell into green goo which might have been something left over from a cattle gut or something that is rotting. And that was what happened, the jockey slammed my trailer into the first dock and probably would have cut me in half on that steel right about lung level.

Believe you me I was awake the rest of the night. But that was ok, it was three days and two nights resting and building 70 hours back on the recap in order to run that load down and eastbound. I consider that one of my birthdays and one of the 8 or so lives lost lol.

What I don't see coming will be what kills me more than likely lol. Might as well get it over with.

Bud A. and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  9. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    The man who was killed left a family behind. It is very sad.

Gregory Ford

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.