Man who was taken hostage, killed was on this first day on the job as a UPS driver

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, Dec 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ah well.

Better than retirement and dying 4 months after a lifetime of futility. So this is a blessing.

3. HopperHauler

HopperHauler Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 22, 2011
    North Dakota
    That's as pathetic a statement as I've ever read on here. I bet his two girls don't see the blessing in this. Or any other lucid minded individual, for that matter.

4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Blessing? I doubt that his wife and kids see it as a blessing.
    I doubt that the deceased would, either.
    A little compassion and empathy is called for here, not the insensitive attitude that you're displaying.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Reason for edit: Removed personal insults and advice.
  5. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Really? You done fallen off your rocker or something.

6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    seriously @x1Heavy , that's a very crass, and hurtful statement from you.

i am really surprised.

Crude Truckin', rachi, 7-UP and 7 others Thank this.
  7. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I'm not. Anymore anyone getting killed is a ####ing joke to him. Like the poor driver that went over the conowingo dam.

8. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    This one hits kinda close to home for me. I spent 20 years in that brown uniform, honestly some of the best days I've had. You tend to start to look at it as a family when you've been around somewhere that long. Poor guy was just trying to make a living and support his family and had a great opportunity and this crap happens.
    Rest easy driver.

9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Im sorry.

Our days have a number on them. A beginning and a ending. We dont know what the last day will be like. I should be dead myself.

When criminals brash enough to break laws, bring weapons determined to mow down everyone who gets in their way regardless of the situation and do the things they did to hijack orwhatever to try and get away, you have innocent deaths.

If they hijacked me I will draw and they are going to have a shot up vehicle and a body in it to try and get away in. It dont matter to me one way or another. Life is good. But our days are numbered, best to try and enjoy it. We don't always get to decide how to die.

If its at the hands of evil then I'll die with casings all over the place maybe I take a few with me. The evil ones that is.

The driver of the UPS truck was in a impossible situation anyway. As are everyone else in that vehicle when the police decided to go ahead and storm it with gunfire. It will be resolved one way or another.

We had a shooting with multipule deaths two days ago in Norfolk and another this morning in Pensacola air station. Shooter was shot dead in both cases, a few were killed and many hurt in both places. You cannot preserve your life in face of evil. You will do what you have to do to survive. But that's not guaranteed.

Society as a whole is getting bad, if you are in a city you want to get out of there. Move out to a way better peaceful town in a rural area where that kind of violence and blatant gun crime is very very rare. You will probably enjoy a very long life as a UPS driver out here. We had two retire after 25 and 30 years (respectively for the two they represent a total of 55 years service to our area) Maybe two murders in our area since 1972 when a security gaurd at a downtown drug shop was killed by a burgler intent on grabbing a bottle of narcotics. Security gaurd knew that when he took that job in 1972 he might be killed for those drugs. No one forced him to take that job. And there he was. The police station as two blocks away. The second killing was a drive by. The bad guys were captured before they escaped the county.

When you live out here in this very nice quiet area everyone is armed and crime of that nature is VERY little.

I have been in too many dangerous situations over the years and view life and death as a passing. When it happens it happens. I don't go looking for it. But if today is my last day, then hopefully someone else will be saved and then I will be happy.

10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Here the truck stopped in the middle lane surrounded by vehicles waiting at a light.

The resulting situation went bad very fast as rounds went everywhere in both directions.

Dr. Carlos - Forensic Psychology Professor on Twitter

The lawmen with rifles and so forth made a dual move to envelope the truck with the bad guys in it from both directions eventually surrounding it. These according to Fox were hardened criminals who served a decade or more before being released. And what do they do? Commit the same #### crime all over again and decided they are not going back to prison regardless of how many innocent they take with them.

One solution is to have UPS decide to build tanks out of their trucks and do the Mexican solution with their truckers in armored trucks. Lock themselves in and wait for the law to show up should they be highjacked. It would have saved that drivers life and continued to do so. Should the man choose to keep working for them.

I have seen people burn to death, I have seen badly hurt people being chopped in half and all sorts of other really terrible horrible things to innocents or otherwise in life. Im not the one to be ooey gooey emotional too much about death after that. The realization hit me after a illinois wreck involved a heavy set lady being slowly cut down through her stomach almost to her spine as she breathed and sobbed in agony. cut cut cut bleed bleed bleed. she was critical. Her husband was ejected 50 yards down median dead on impact. CPR was no good he was declared at scene.

And I had the emotional lack of problem with that, like having a cup of coffee while making sure there is no gas leaking too much in that rain, and seeing if the other driver can continue to hold her head up and see if there were others in trouble in the area. just run down the checklist of what can be done before EMT gets there. Some people were hysterical. Get them calmed down and move on to the next but always back to that lady. She probably had a fighting chance. But again I learned that day that I was not what I was growing up and something is lost then. Turned into a solving of problems if possible rather than emotional emphathy or similar.

That does not mean I don't have feelings. I tend to set them aside. Eventually they come out. Not today. Maybe tomorrow. If there is tomorrow.

Dr. Carlos - Forensic Psychology Professor on Twitter

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.