Manac Flatbed

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by luddybuddy, Dec 5, 2020.

1. luddybuddy

luddybuddy Light Load Member

May 11, 2010
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Was wondering if anyone owns or has owned a manac darkwing flat bed or stepdeck. Was wondering how the hold up and what are the pros and cons about ownership. Thanks

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. booley

booley Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2008
    D.Tibbitt and Ruthless Thank this.
  4. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    I bought a manac combo flatbed off the lot last december. I ordered a steel step feb 6 i believe. I didnt actually go get the flatbed until prolly April or early/mid May. I do not have a darkwing..... but allegedly in a couple more months i’ll have the stepdeck that they’ll have built for the second time. See if the second time is a charm.

i like that they offer galvanized options.

other than that: nothing i can say is a pro. Lots of somewhat poor quality of craftsmanship in the manufacturing process.

i mean hey, if you ordered a 48’ step with axles to the back, and it shows up 7 months later looking like
    E6F11949-247A-4031-BFB1-7AF4798EA3A9.jpeg

and you ordered penny lights down the side and then look at it and see 23 down each side dangling bc the holes are 1/4” bigger than the grommets (also not evenly spaced) and the factory fix was wrap electrical tape on the back

2E7718FE-CBCB-4392-961F-BE36294B4470.jpeg

And overspray on everything - I ordered red: i didn't mean overspray on tires, galvanized parts, mudflaps, straps, winches and decking. And paint over the tape that covered some of the lights that nobody ever peeled off

or winch track that alllows winches into the tires (stop bolt is still over an inch back from this spot)
    3153ACE0-5235-4A67-B27F-AE979642F90E.jpeg

I will let you know when the full year comes around since i ordered it, if it has come in by then, if the next one is correct.

I didn’t/don’t want or need a darkwing. Maybe thats what it takes to get a good one.
    Maybe they build all the good ones in Canada and keep them there.
    I dont know. What I know is that itd have to be a pretty ####### good deal for me to buy another one.

At the end of the day, if you’re buying fleet spec, it prolly don’t matter what brand you buy. All the parts are new.
    Long as you aren’t looking for something special.

5. booley

booley Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Jeez @Ruthless you didn’t have to sugarcoat it that much, you could’ve just told him how it was ;);)

6. AKDoug

AKDoug Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2018
    And now I know why @Ruthless gave me the advice he did in another thread.

Tug Toy and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. Fatboy42

Fatboy42 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Indiana
    I don’t own a manac but was called to give an estimate on repairs of a repo unit. Ok I get it being a repo it did not have great care after seeing multiple floor screws pulled through xmembers and cracks where I have never seen a spread axle crack even if abused I would not buy one dry thin material. I was in the surcharge for a new 48x102 aluminum spread flat with spec like dark wing and i bought another brand after seeing this one.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    A customer I worked for had 1/2 a dozen manacs combo flats... the frame rotted away on all of them. They were fleet spec and didn’t get the best care.....

9. booley

booley Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2008
    My former employer just bought 3 new Manacs. Probably just fleet spec, but I see they are “Legends” The top one is a stretch, fully galvanized. I heard that one was $48G’s... and we heard from @Ruthless how good the galv can be...
    5EC2B4AB-AFBB-4E94-8374-64C1BC8B1008.jpeg

Tug Toy and Ruthless Thank this.
  10. Cummins_444

Cummins_444 Medium Load Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Northwest, IN
    Only tried one darkwing 2014 model. Its was cheap and flimsy. Didn't hold up well started to look a little beat. The running joke was it was made out of beer cans. Its gone still sticking with reitnouer and mac aluminum flats for now.

booley, Tug Toy and cke Thank this.
  11. basedinMN_

basedinMN_ Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    St Paul, MN
    Do you have a bunch of slop on the winch track, a lot of play when you winch down straps?

cke Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.