March 1st I-80 pileup video in progress

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Moon_beam, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Moon_beam

Moon_beam Heavy Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moon_beam

Aug 29, 2012

Walk through of damage.

mjd4277, D.Tibbitt, jon69 and 6 others Thank this.
  4. Moon_beam

Aug 29, 2012

This one gets rear-ended at the very beginning of video then continues to drive

Knight is the first truck in the pile but had apparently rear-ended another truck that kept going.

5:16 into video driver trapped in destroyed SUV, possible fatality. There are other people stuck in the SUV inside.

At 7:22 appears that no one could have survived in that Semi. Talking in Spanish so I don't know what they are saying.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  5. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Millions of dollars in damage. Then we wonder why insurance premiums are so dang high.

roshea, PE_T, mjd4277 and 5 others Thank this.
  6. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    Terrible wreck. My sincere condolences to the next of kin. I would have been headed past this on the eastbound side (still open) this morning, but 287 is closed so I'm sitting till it opens.

Now I don't intend to sound smug or overconfident or uncaring, so if I do, I apologize. But I find it interesting that in the middle of these pileups, there are always some drivers who stop in time and don't hit anyone. They may get hit themselves, like the driver in the third video, but they don't run into anyone. Why is that? Could it be that they slowed down and allowed enough room between themselves and the vehicle in front of them? Or is it just luck?

7. Moon_beam

Aug 29, 2012
    Four years ago it was a big deal if there was a 50 truck pileup. Now it is a weekly event in the winter. I think one difference is that nearly every driver has a smart phone and has figured out how to use the video mode and post to youtube or FaceBook.

8. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    One things for sure, when it snows you can find me parked at the nearest truck stop. Not worth it anymore out here to get caught up in a mess like this. Not happening.

RunningAces, roshea, booley and 16 others Thank this.
  9. Moon_beam

Aug 29, 2012
    I used to think that it was wimping out to park after seeing a single snowflake in the air. Now I think of the potential for some idiot coming the other direction to lose control and come flying across the median and hit me. Not worth it to keep driving in the snow when there are so many that will not slow down.

booley, uncleal13, D.Tibbitt and 7 others Thank this.
  10. jcrack08

jcrack08 Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2014
    I'm sitting in Kearney,NE..decided to wait it out even before it started. Sometimes I second guess myself on that, but never regret it. These videos are enough to reinforce those decisions. With only 7k in my box I wasn't risking anything. Even with a heavier load...its.just.not.worth.it.

mjd4277, booley, Swine hauler and 9 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.