Marijuana Legalization and DOT

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by moloko, Dec 16, 2017.

1. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    Been off the grid for a while because I lost my Truckers Report password. Thank god I have access to this once again, or else the real important questions would never get posted.

Look, I'm noticing a change in mentality towards marijuana even in my own line of work. It seems like safety managers who do not "personally" have an issue with personal, off-duty marijuana consumption are sounding the dog whistle to drivers who couldn't pass a drug test. Giving them a silent alarm on when the next random is probably going to strike.

Living in California, we are entering full legal marijuana status as of January 1. As in, walking into a store and buying an ounce of indoor cannabis for $50. Legal like Portland, Oregon legal. It's getting to be as commonplace as a cup of coffee without the heart palpitations or jitters. Good god man, they're even selling coffee infused with THC.

I was recently told to take a random drug test. I work for a large company that is "by the book." We get our dispatch days in advance. So on a Friday night, when I was off work, I noticed my dispatch told me to "stop by the office," about 7 days in advance. When I asked my boss what the problem was, he told me he couldn't give me any details. It was well implied that this was a random drug screening, based on their secretive avoidance of my questions and advance notice of something "unknown." I considered it a silent alarm for those who probably would fail for marijuana.

The attitude I'm starting to see with safety managers is, "we don't care what you do on your own time. Just make sure you pass the random drug tests so we are not liable if worst comes to worst."

Now before anyone jumps down my throat condemning me as someone who approves of smoking a 6 foot bong while driving a load down the road... that's simply not the case. But we are seeing a critical turning point here. Marijuana is now as available as tobacco in California, and there is no objective evidence showing that smoking a joint on Friday will leave one impaired on Monday. There is also no objective evidence showing that simply having the metabolites of THC in one's system indicates any current level of impairment. So it is my assertion that the DOT screening is decades behind and using antiquated methods of detection.

I look at it like this. Marijuana is probably the same as sex. You shouldn't do it while driving down the road. I would probably be a dangerous and horrible driver if I were driving a big rig while getting laid. I have not tried this yet (maybe some of you have), so I cannot say one way or another. But doing the deed on Friday does not impair me on Monday.

January 1 is right around the corner and the year of 2018 will be a changing factor for our industry here in California. I think we're going to see a shift in policy from, "you can never use marijuana," to, "Just make sure you pass the random drug tests when we give them to you most likely between the 15th and the 30th of the month."

Keep it a spirited and civil discussion. I don't want this to get locked

2. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    DOT regulations come from a administration at the federal regulations level. And that administration and it's Attorney General don't see things your way. So don't hold that toke too long, things are not going to change in the near future.

Bean Jr., dave26027 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  3. Aradrox

Aradrox Heavy Load Member

Jan 21, 2016
    My opinion is until they come up with a test for marijuana like the brethalizer for alcohol we have to take someone's word for it... Never going to work.

4. slickWillie1980

slickWillie1980 Medium Load Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Mt Olive, NC
    It's only a matter of time....
    Until then enjoy this propaganda

5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Those managers that give their guys advance notice are going to be up the creek when one of their guys has an accident and is taken down for a UA.

6. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    PNW
    Sorry, but you're one toke over the line, sweet Jesus.

7. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    This is a discussion about a gradual shift in policy, gentlemen. This is not about my "personal" views on cannabis. Do not make a straw man argument about what I am saying. There was nothing I said to imply marijuana and commercial driving are compatible. This is a discussion about a gradual change in attitudes that I am seeing. Did anybody actually read the thread, or did you just post based entirely off the title?

8. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Still kind of amazing to see this. Local Little nickel add: Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 4.27.04 PM.png

9. Gearjammer79

Gearjammer79 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Someone's in their little world.

Texas_hwy_287, tscottme and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted