Marijuana Legalization and DOT

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by moloko, Dec 16, 2017.

1. win-some-loose-less

win-some-loose-less Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Mount Vernon tx
    What a man does on his own time is his buisness as long as it stays at the house and isn’t harmful or distracting to others in society..y’all could be after hour meth heads for all I care aslong as its at the house and not out on the roads.. lol

2. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    Yeah I can't actually believe a constructive thread about this actually made it through 21 pages without getting locked. It's usually such a "controversial" topic.

AfterShock Thanks this.
  3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    At some point, the powers that be will have to re-evaluate this. They will have a fast way to roadside test for pot and also will have to have a standard set. Like alcohol is .08 for most drivers or .04 for us, there will have be be a setting for pot-how much is too much to drive. The whole thing will likely end up in court, more than once I think. Whether the FMCSA ever lightens up is anyones guess. For sure the anti-truck, I mean safety groups will oppose it.

4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    AfterShock Thanks this.
  5. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    Here's the thing. The FMCSA only has authority insofar that the Federal law says cannabis is Schedule 1 and illegal. Since several states are not even proposing that it is rescheduled to II or III, but fully legalized for recreational use... I do not see cannabis even being rescheduled to a II or III substance. I think it should be clear that when it is legalized at the Federal level, the DOT should have no legal recourse to prohibit this anymore. If they try, it's surely going to end up in litigation. At that point, the very same argument they've used all along--"cannabis is federally illegal"-- their argument not only collapses, but is now in favor of the opposition--"cannabis is in no way illegal to use and there is no objective proof showing prior use without active and current impairment can interfere with driving."

But the hypocrisy is pretty alarming. I can be wasted on hard liquor just 4 hours before coming on duty. Why couldn't someone smoke a joint within 4-8 hours of reporting for duty? The regulations also do not allow for driving within 12 hours of taking an opioid narcotic, so at the very most we should be seeing a window of no longer than 12 hours. I base this off the fact that cannabis is far less impairing than opioids, which we all know are a doctor's nice way of introducing you to heroin eventually.

AfterShock Thanks this.
  6. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Heavy Load Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I had over 400 Percocet in my possession at one time legally. Thanks but no thanks doctor. I’m not letting you turn me into a fiend. I was on a morphone iv long enough. Not my thing.

7. jamin22

jamin22 Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Weed sucks. Smoked it multiple times a day for 10 years before I drove. It should be legal, like alcohol, but even if it was I wouldn’t go back to it. Makes me lazy, scrambles my mind too much to focus on anything. Acid is where it’s at. Gives me unlimited energy and the ability to focus and appreciate what’s going on around me

rank and moloko Thank this.
  8. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Heavy Load Member

Mar 17, 2017
    A clean hit of acid is an amazing thing.

9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Very true but be prepared to take a random and pass.

10. Boomer453

Boomer453 Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2017
    As more states legalize marijuana it becomes harder and harder for federal law to prohibit it. Elected officials from states with legal cannabis will not be able to support federal laws against it for fear of the "hypocrite" argument. We should be focused on roadside testing that can detect if your under the influence.
    I think the cats out of the bag regarding legalization and its simply a matter of time till the federal law reflects that.

• Draft saved Draft deleted