Marijuana Legalization and DOT

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by moloko, Dec 16, 2017.

1. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    Since they're anticipating marijuana legalization this coming January 1st, all CalTrans road signs now read , "Drive High, Get a DUI." How many of you noticed that?

AfterShock, bottomdumpin and MarkH129 Thank this.
  2. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Ok anyone who thinks it’s fine to drive a CMV under the influence of marijuana is ...high. :)

Badmon Thanks this.
  3. Brotha D

Brotha D Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2017
    I worked for an outfit many years ago, whose name I will not post here, that was apparently way ahead of the curve on this one. One Monday morning I walked into the drivers area where our loads for the week were posted on clipboards. On one of those clipboards was a rather large note that stated "Random Drug Test Friday"

I occasionally wonder if this company is still in business. The bottom line is, it really doesn't matter how much attitudes may be changing regarding this topic. The feds will NEVER allow you to operate a CMV under the influence, and by their standards, any positive test result is considered under the influence. It doesn't matter that you got loaded with the ole lady in the privacy of your own home on New Years Eve and that it was the only joint you smoked all year, if you get in a wreck on January 5th and test positive for weed, you're done. If anyone was seriously injured you might even be going to prison. It doesn't even matter if the wreck was your fault or not. The question you should have been asking is, is anyone out there willing to take that chance? It's the worst kind of gamble, and totally not worth it. If you haven't noticed, all changing norms and attitudes aside, government control of your life is tightening, not loosening. There is no more clear example of that than what took place on December 18th. MTC

REO6205 and kanidana Thank this.
  4. Maxgussam

Maxgussam Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2005
    What happened on Dec 18?
    E-log mandate?
    Please explain how this expanded "Government control of your lives.".
    There are no additional HOS rules due to the E-Log policy.
    It seems to me that the most upset people are the ones that violate the rules the most.
    Yes there should be more, very limited flexibility, but that is a much different issue than what is being discussed here.

Badmon and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    After careful thought the ELD says you are out of hours today DO NOT MOVE a inch or you are in VIOLATION.

I think that is the problem more than anything. The Lawmakers who created this frankenstien never thought about our necessary freedoms, culture of trucking to go here or there or reposition for home or food or loading etc. We do not clock out like regular working drones, we LIVE with the truck and we need the flexibility to move about as necessary.

One solution would be to force shippers to build a truckstop attached to the warehouse so we can be out of hours all we want... //snarky...

kanidana Thanks this.
  6. Crazytrucker77

Crazytrucker77 Light Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Hermiston, OR
    As someone with a degree in Criminal Justice here is the way things work in the legal system when it comes to the use of pot. Laws that are mandated on the federal level are intended to be a universal law across the country. Each state is given the option to modify these laws to suit there own ideology. So with this said on the federal level pot is still considered an illegal substance but some states have decided to legalize it such as Oregon where I live and Cali. where you live. Here is where the legalization of pot does not apply to us due to our profession. We work in a profession that is controlled at the federal level so we have to abide both state and federal law which means that even if we live in a state that legalized pot we still can't use it due to it being illegal on the federal level.

7. Milkman719

Milkman719 Medium Load Member

May 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs
    I find this hard to believe. 4 or 5 drivers? was it 4 or was it 5? Did they all just car pool to the Dispensary with you? Im pretty sure if a CDL holder was going to buy some weed they would't have you pick them up at there truck. If a driver wants to do something that dumb then they should park by the Denny's off Peoria and I-70 and just walk over to the Store. Tell us more stories

8. LeadFarmer

LeadFarmer Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    As an Uber driver why are doing Uber instead of driving your tractor???? I know Uber can be lucrative during specific times taking tourists and bar closers home but the consistency is not there.

Also there's no way you picked these folks up in front of their rigs unless they're at a mom and pop stop with just them there. You get routed to an address and they know enough to wait at the station. We didn't get GPS on pax, which they have to opt into, until a month or so ago (at least in NJ).

As for ratting out the driver's there's a distinction between buying, possession, and being under the influence. If a driver wants to buy weed in a legal state from a legal dispensary that's their business. Maybe they're bringing it home for the wife/friend? Or they're headed home for a week? Should truck stops have cameras and stings for every alcoholic product they sell? Because legally it's the same in those states.

Milkman719 Thanks this.
  9. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    In my travels to other countries, sitting down with some that invited me in for a meal, I really had no idea what some of the food I ate was, I saw them eating it, so I tried it, it all tasted great and never had food poisoning until back in the states. Some of what we eat over here in other countries they would never even think of eating but with our food supply in this country I have heard of horse getting mixed in with the beef for the hamburgers...along with dogs, cats, rats. enjoy your meals, .

moloko Thanks this.
  10. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    When you walk into one of those stores they check your ID and enter it into a data base, they know who is doing what and then there is the security cameras, Anyone using and driving is playing a dangerous game if they want to keep the family fed.

AfterShock, Milkman719 and Maxgussam Thank this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted