Marten's Track lease

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by buck and a half, Oct 20, 2006.

1. buck and a half

buck and a half Mr. Miles & Miles with Many Smiles

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    I was listening to a rep from Martin and he said they have a new truck lease deal in the system. you need 1600 to 1800 for the first payment,they have 2005 kw900s and 2005 coronados. next payment due 45 days later. Turbo have you heard all the perks on it yet. Coming from Martin,maybe its a possible honest deal.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buck and a half

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    no bites on this one, the rep might have been on xm nemo from marten instead of martin. probably a bad deal anyway.

4. azcardnlz

azcardnlz Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Indianapolis, IN
    It is Marten that you heard about. They are saying that they have 2004 (not 2005) W900's, 379's and Columbias (not Coronados). These are former company trucks. The payments you stated are about right. The term is 3 years. There is a $10,000 balloon at the end. I think that it may be an honest deal, but not necessarily a good one. The financing is going through US Bank. The thing to remember is that it's still a lease purchase. I have run the numbers, and can't see how it would be possible to make as much as I already do as a company driver with them. Seems like I would have to take a pay cut for 3 years before I could finally start making more money than I make now. It would take 4-5 years just to break even with a company driver, and that's assuming no major breakdowns. At this point, the only advantage over a company driver would be that you would own an 8 year old truck with 900,000 miles on it. I'll pass.:bs:

5. buck and a half

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    yep,that would not be a good deal. the ad I heard about was on landline on xm radio,they said to call elizebeth at martins for the info,they indicted newr trucks on that ad ,but,you know how that goes. The only thing i have ever liked is picking your own loads on a lease purchase you ussually have more control on your loads,but,as you and I know they can still control your income,thatr has always been the problem when I have lease purchased,it never seems to work out for the driver,but the company makes a better living selling trucks over and over again,than they do hauling freight. It's really a gimmic to make you take better care of their truck for them,while payng their payments and maintenance,when they use you and you start speaking out trying to make more,they spit you out and starve you out and find another sucker. The successful ones' are their guinea pigs used to advertise and some are related to the owners of these companies. Best to be a driver,save money for your own deal and do it after a few years of experience with a working plan to be successful.

6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    Just a way for the company to make more money off of a truck instead of trading it back in on a new one.

By the time you get to the end of the lease, you have to make a $10,000 payment on a 6 year old truck with a million miles on it. Just in time to start spending money on major repairs (engine/transmission rebuilds, etc..)

Of course, that bit $10,000 payment at the end won't look to good, so they conveniently will take the truck back and put you in another lease truck so you can make monthly payments on something you most likely will never truly own.

This works out OK, and you can probably make a "little" better money than a company driver as long as nothing breaks on the truck during the lease, because little, or possibly none of it, is under warranty.

7. mikroos5

mikroos5 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Mass.
    I was told that it was $4000 down and at the end of the lease the truck was yours no balloon

and the payments were $350-$375 a week for 3 years on a 05-06 pete 379

sounds to me like a normal truck payment for a used truck.

I think someone is getting miss infomation and its not me becouse i just got off the phone with them this morning.

8. azcardnlz

Oct 4, 2006
    Indianapolis, IN
    Nope, I'm not getting misinformation. Neither are you. Marten has TWO different lease purchase programs. The one you are talking about is their original L/P program. Marten buys Pete 379's in several colors and leases them to drivers with $3500-4000 down. We are talking about their NEW TRAC lease program. These are their former company trucks (they will all be blue.) The only down payment will be the first month's payment and then another payment isn't due for about 45 days. The TRAC lease is also run through U.S. Bank, where their original plan is in-house, so it may be a bit more difficult to qualify.

I'm just a company driver for Marten, but I have talked to several L/P drivers. While still making payments, some make the same as company drivers, some make less. I haven't met any that are making more. I also haven't met any that are doing the new TRAC lease yet. It's still too new.

Marten doesn't seem to me to be the kind of company that will dry up the miles just to get their truck back. I talked to a L/P driver who is on his third L/P truck. It said that he had no problem with it. He's been with Marten for over 12 years.

Also, with Marten, you don't get to pick your own loads, but you have the right to reject the ones you get.

This post is not intended to give my opinion, just the facts ma'am. Do with it what you will.

9. mikroos5

mikroos5 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Mass.
    didnt mean to sound as harsh as it came out,sorry.

I was also leased too them back in 95 to 02 and thought the grass was greener on the other side of the fence.gave up my truck in 04 and went local.

screwed up my shoulder over a year ago and been on workers comp since,just waiting on the docs OK and the settlement check and im heading back out on the road.

been talking with them for the last couple of weeks thats how i know about what they are offering.

I think i have rocks in my head too want to go back out there :biggrin_25526:

10. azcardnlz

Oct 4, 2006
    Indianapolis, IN
    Didn't take it as harsh. If you do come back, get a run going up I-75 in Michigan, that'll knock the rocks loose.

11. buck and a half

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    Thank ya all for the info. I knew I wasn't imagining what I had heard on xm. It was the track lease,ist and last payment deal,but,I don't remember them mentioning the balloon payment at the end,I understood it to be an owned deal on last payment. I know that most of martins guys and girls do not have anything bad to say about them so I guess they are pretty good folks to work for.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.