Maths says You run 3 car hauler avoid Weight Stations

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by trucko, Nov 17, 2018.

1. trucko

trucko Medium Load Member

Aug 3, 2015
    So after doing some calculations and comparing time spent in going weight stations vs planning to avoid them I came to conclusion that no matter how well prepared your truck is you will gain time in general if you avoid weight stations. I am talking about 3 car haulers.

The reasons:

1. They are targeted by Weight Stations. I do not know why but they really love to pull 3 car haulers over for inspections.
    2. You get violation or not greatly depends on DOT officer's personal attitude to you rather than actual regulation, some office do Inspection thoroughly some officers just go around or sit in their vehicles with your log book. For example I have seen in my career officer turned blind eye on small violation like for example number plate light was off but another officer gave me violation for not firmly attaching fire extinguisher. That very same fire extinguisher was there same way attached and all other officers were OK with that but not this one. My 3 car hauler allows me to choose the route I want without going to NO truck zones. I might spend 20 minutes more to avoid weight station but it still worths than going there

AND ONE IMPORTANT OBSERVATION MY CAR HAULER FRIENDS

THE OFFICER WHO PULLS YOU OVER DURING EARLY MORNING LIKE 5-6 AM WILL MORE LIKELY GIVE YOU PASS IF OF COURSE YOU ARE IN SHAPE THAN OFFICER THAT PULLS YOU OVER DURING NORMAL BUSINESS HOURS.

5 AM COPS ARE NICER THAN 9 AM COPS. BELIEVE ME

The regulations should go away.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kozakvod

Kozakvod Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Are you just making a statement or asking a question?

The long-term profitability in a 3-car running long is highly debatable regardless of whether you cross a scale or not.

Yes, 3-cars are targeted by DOT, some officers here in TX have said if they had their way they would all be outlawed, too dangerous they say because too much weight not enough brake.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Scales have no measurable impact to a trip.

Considering that it takes a time to unload, load cars at a Auction house (Same or less or more with any trucking) combined with crossing scales, inspection possibly etc) is all part of your work. There is no "Time Lost" when you are on the job driving or on duty. Time is just itself. There is no lost time or saved time. You cannot save time against a future where you need more time.

USMC '74-'78 Semper Fi Thanks this.
  5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Quite a few scales want any commercial vehicle to pull in, even any pickup towing a trailer. I suppose it depends on where you run.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. frankdtank

frankdtank Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2018
    If you ever come to Florida, they seem to pick on anything being pulled by a pickup :)

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. djbattle

djbattle Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Get a real truck and get away from carhauling,,I've owned 3 carhaulers turned 180000 home everyday work t days a week

8. Old one

Old one Bobtail Member

Apr 24, 2018
    Yep.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.