Maverick Glassholes

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by runhard, Sep 20, 2015.

1. SRiley77

SRiley77 Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2015
    I did my OTR trainer time through Maverick Glass. There is a goodly amount of climbing. You have to pull the tarps forward on a DGL, which requires climbing up the ladder in front (after climbing up the rack in the back to untie & pull the tarp end around the glass stoces). Once the glass is off the trailer, you may have to climb up on the trailer racks to retrieve the straps. When loading, you may have to climb a ladder (leaning on the glass) to place the straps up top. When on a step deck or flatbed trailer, you may have to climb up the A frames to remove stuffing and other debris.
    It is a good workout, 6 weeks saw me lose ~40 lbs. I was able to get used to the heights & climbing, but it took time.

Natethetrucker04, w.h.o and runhard Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. runhard

runhard Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Stone Mountain Ga
    I think I'm going flatbed

kiwi23 and w.h.o Thank this.
  4. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Regular flatbed? Goof luck on ur career

runhard Thanks this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Does Maverick have a percentage pay option for regional flatbed or is it all strictly mileage pay model? I can't justify the reduced miles and more taping for a rather meager mileage pay. Granted maybe the home-time is better or at least more consistent but that's not high on my priorities.

I'm just thinking a little (not much) about returning to flatbed as means to shake things up a bit. But it seems they do not have APU's and this might be a deal-breaker given all the southern operation they do.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    System Transport has Tripac APU's.
    Maverick has some type, but don't know if they're as versatile as Tripac.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  7. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    The past few weeks it's been liveload after liveload after liveload and if you despise that with reefers then you are in for a treat with glass liveloads which are serious work in 100+degree Weather or freeze your ### off in the winter. You do get paid 25 bucks for a liveload but after a few of those that take 6-8 hours you might realize that you are working outside in ridiculous Temps for about 3-4 dollars an hour and then still have to drive afterwards.

chico9696 Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Ah ha, that's why the driver turnover is so high. I've wondered about that.

9. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    I'm thinking that the turnover is built into the system and with winter on the way they probably need to thin the herd anyway, thus the ramp up on liveloads.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. USIT420

USIT420 Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Glass is good but keep in mind that is is more work and often in extreme weather conditions. There will be times when you do have to wait but I can't imagine that's it's comparable to TCD. Canada is good! I've made more money on Canada loads than US loads. Thing about Canada is just make sure you have a cell plan with Canada roaming so you're not cut off from home. AT&T has a Canada roaming plan that on my plan is only an extra $5 a month. Worth every penny. Don't worry about heights, you're only talking about 13 feet or so when you're actually allowed on top of the glass. Ladders are a different story. I'm not afraid of heights, I'm afraid of ladders. But if you secure the ladders you should be fine.

Downtime with glass is a little different than waiting in dock doors, glass loads usually have extra time built into them. And I love winter time, it weeds out the biches that can't handle cold and I get more work. Glass usually slows down in February and picks back up mid March. That's when you take vacation! That's also when you'll see more flatbed loads that go nowhere. By nowhere I mean 300 mile loads. Glass guys don't get good flatbed loads, we get the short-haul flatbed loads.

And if you want more homesite glass is good for that. You'll still need to stay out for a while but when you do go home you can easily get 4 to 5 days. But you'll need to do everything that's asked of you, no complaining. I find that's really the key to making money in this business is just keep your mouth shut unless you really have an issue with something. There will be good weeks and bad weeks but you have to keep in mind that at Maverick if you do those things you'll make your 60k a year, sometimes more.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  11. 28special

28special Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2015

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.