max legal miles

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by IKESALE, Sep 23, 2015.

1. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ttyson

ttyson Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Only two logbooks make you a super trucker.

4. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    Depends on your definition of legal..

I turn in legal logs and run consistently over 4k miles....I don't work for a mega fleet or get babysat 24/7 either..

chopper103in and BoostedTeg Thank this.
  5. IKESALE

IKESALE Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2013
    those guys claiming 3800-4200 miles if there really runnin that and lieing on logs, it just doesnt seem worth the risk of loosing your career.

im on paper logs, but my truck is also gps'ed, and my location gets recorded in the computer at the terminal.

6. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    Some people are obviously stretching the limits, I could name one for certain but I'll let that dog lie. ;)

Your comment about 15 min load/unload makes me think you might be logged on-duty the entire time. That's not required unless you're actually performing work. Nor are you required to be logged on-duty while waiting in line for a pump.

Then there's the nature of your runs. I'm at 2200+ and still have almost 30 hours on my clock. Easy running out of Ohio into Oregon. Bouncing around the NE I'd be lucky to have 15 left.

7. ttyson

ttyson Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2015
    ALL time spent waiting to load/unload shall be recorded as ON DUTY NOT DRIVING.

8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Maybe but who actually does that.You could burn up your 70 real quick that way.If I was sitting in the dock say 6 hrs,that time spent will be logged on line 1.

str8t10 and Dark_Majesty_06 Thank this.
  9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    On e-logs I averaged about 2800 miles per week. Best week was about 3300 miles, and that was with a 62 mph truck. On long coast to coast runs it is possible to get higher than that, as you limit waiting time at shippers or receivers. Throw in an ungoverned truck running through 70-80 mph speed limits and I can easily see how folks could average much much higher on coast to coast runs. Throw away the e-logs and get a coloring book and it is dead easy.

Of course that is all predicated on whether a driver has the mind set to pay attention to the verb in "Professional Driver".

10. thomaskirk8

thomaskirk8 Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2014
    I have a friend (on e logs) who has done over 4000 miles a week. Certainly not every week but it can be done.

11. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    Incorrect.

FMCSR 395.2:

On-duty time means all time from the time a driver begins to work or is required to be in readiness to work until the time the driver is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work. On-duty time shall include:

(1) All time at a plant, terminal, facility, or other property of a motor carrier or shipper, or on any public property, waiting to be dispatched, unless the driver has been relieved from duty by the motor carrier;

There are several federal court rulings recognizing that the Carrier does NOT have to give a driver specific instructions to be relieved of duty. The most recognized one happens to be the ruling on the 30 min break which allows a driver to be off-duty while sitting in the drivers seat.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.