Maxxforce 13 oil filler neck leaks

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by kubasj05, May 18, 2019.

1. kubasj05

kubasj05 Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2013
    I was wondering if any of you have replaced one. I've replaced rubber tube connecting upper filler neck with lower filler neck that is fixed into engine block.
    I cleaned all of the oil residue and ran it for few thousand miles and it's apparent that lower filler neck is leaky, don't know if it is cracked or there is an o-ring or thread sealer that failed. I ordered a new one anyway as it was only $21. Is there any special removal tool required for this replacement job? Any advise is much appreciated. See picture for reference.
    Thanks, Jacob

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    That is very common leak point. I have never personally changed one, but our shop has, and I'm pretty sure it just threads out. There is nothing special in the manual about it, just "remove" it, LOL. It is only plastic, so be careful. Start with some channel locks, but try not to crack it. If it won't turn with them, you might have to try something like a filter strap wrench. It says to use Loctite 545 all the way around on the first 3 threads and tighten to 26 ft lbs.

4. kubasj05

Apr 18, 2013
    That's what I'm afraid of, cracking it since it is plastic I thought there's a removal tool of some sort.
    Thanks for heads up Heavyd, I can take it from here

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I know there is a large inverted hex in there, but I have not seen a tool for that. You would need the biggest allen key I have ever seen for that, LOL!

6. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    It was designed by international to be this way !

7. kubasj05

Apr 18, 2013
    That's what I actually thought it's needed, giant hex but I was going to wait until I get the part in my hands to see if I could match anything to it.
    It be funny if it would fell inside the crankcase, lol

8. kubasj05

Apr 18, 2013
    That and not only, was very nice of them. Makes me wonder often times what engineering school they graduated from....

9. CoachT

CoachT Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2018
    I have a 2013 maxxforce and I have an oil leak that no one can seem to find.... we cleaned the engine and let it run even drove it around with no problems soon as i put it under a load it blows oil under the hood... under my hood is completely covered in oil anyone know what it is

10. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    ...install goPro under hood :)

11. kubasj05

Apr 18, 2013
    This sounds like it happens when you hit the boost. Which side (left/right) is affected more? I think the idea of mounting "gopro" is totally worth of hassle. The only ideas that come to my mind are:
    Turbo feed line (but it's all hidden down)
    Damaged/cracked Crankcase oil separator (sits on the top of the engine)
    Cooling fan shaft seal (but that is facing radiator)
    Failed high pressure turbo in connection with damaged intercooler (hole in it)
    Other than that, it is hard to to pin point. Wish you luck on your fix and please comeback here again to share your findings.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.