Maxxforce 13 oil leak

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Bugsy1108, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Bugsy1108

Bugsy1108 Light Load Member

Mar 20, 2019
    So I've got a 2014 ProStar with a maxxforce 13. Yeah, I know.

I still have had no major issues with it but the minor ones are driving me crazy.

I have an oil leak on the left side front of the engine. Now the real common problem with the uses for it to leak around the filler tube, which it was. I replaced the hose and two clamps and that is solved. But I'm still getting a lot of leaking in that same area. I thought somehow though filler tube was still leaking but I wrapped it in gauze and silicone tape still got the leak, and confirmed it wasn't underneath the silicone tape.

Manuals for this engine are a pain in the ### to find. For any engine made by Cummins cat or Detroit you can go to the factory and they'll sell you the factory engine manual. If you go to Navistar and ask for one they tell you they only sell it to Navistar dealers.

There is a large pulley below the alternator and forward of the filler tube. I do not know what this pulley is. Perhaps the water pump? But while I have not been able to find the source of the leak the housing that this pulley mounts to is absolutely doused in oil.

Any advice here would be hot.
    Thanks!

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    My company used to have Internationals and I ran one that developed an oil leak on the passenger side.

Boring oil leak story cut short, the tractor was fixed under warranty at a dealership. I'm hoping you will luck out and receive a free factory fix.

4. EtherOrBroke11

EtherOrBroke11 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Your oil leak might be coming from the black tube that the oil full tube hose goes on. It is threaded and comes out it is a big Allen drive. Pull it out and put some thread sealant on it.

5. EtherOrBroke11

Jan 17, 2020
    The pulley is the accessory drive and you can unbolt it from the front and reseal it with silicon

6. Bugsy1108

Mar 20, 2019
    20200228_122134.jpg 20200228_122134.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Bugsy1108

Mar 20, 2019
  8. EtherOrBroke11

Jan 17, 2020
    By the looks of the oil spray it might be coming from the shaft seal of the accessory drive

9. EtherOrBroke11

Jan 17, 2020
    Kinda looks like coming out of the intake hose too like a turbo is passing oil

10. Bugsy1108

Mar 20, 2019
    All of the oil up top got there later than the stuff below it. And all of this is over the course of two or three days since it was completely degreased.

It's not losing oil fast enough that it's really noticeable on the dipstick, but it's fast enough that I'm leaving drips.

One thing I was reading online said that there is a tendency for oil leaks between the high pressure fuel pump housing and the accessory drive housing. But of course there's also an oil seal around the shaft.

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I really can't tell. I would wash the area really good and run it and see where it seem to come from, retake pictures and post again.

Bugsy1108 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.