May or Swift?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Rocknroller4, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2015
    Got the choice between May Trucking or Swift. Please keep in mind my only choices. I have a friend at Swift who is going to be my mentor but I would have to travel all the way to Texas. Just wondering what to do. I guess freight wise Swift would be the better option? Thanks all

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    May has a "guaranteed" salary option now. I started with them in 2009, put in my time and moved on. They were okay.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Rocknroller4 Thanks this.
  4. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    For dedicated, Swift. For OTR, probably still Swift. And once that contract is up, move on.

5. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2015
    Well I remember doing the orientation with them back when but wasn't too impressed with some of the personnel there. I do remember that base pay option which is cool but no direct deposit and limited freight options were a let down. I think they do only regional (mostly up and down I-5) and then the 48 state reefer option. I'd rather do drop and hook and dedicated would be nice. There isn't really a lot of company choices in the PNW. Maybe flat bed there are a few good companies.

6. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Well, looks like Swift is your choice then ;-)

7. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    I worked for May. If you want an OTR experience, are willing to stay out at least a month at a time, want chaining and winter driving, drive in the northwest mountains during the winter ( it's beautiful but harsh) get home when you want usually, longer runs, I had several over 1500 miles and a few from coast ro coast although it seemed like the last year I was there they were getting a little shorter, then go with May. Get one or two years of experience then leave. They are great to get all the experience that you need. Also they have newer trucks and a pet and rider policy.

Cons are after you have been there a year or so they could care less about you. They are a starter company and like to keep the pay low so they churn through new drivers.. they keep that pay down!! I think they are now starting new drivers at 38 com, habe been promising more pay for the past year but habe yet to come though with iy.As far as the guaranteed pay yea if your lucky after taxes you might bring home 650 a week. They have some kind of formula in place that they pay you for the miles over 2250 a week in a 3 month period. I was in that for a while and it's good wile you get your feet wet..after that if your a hard runner it's best to go to miles, I couldn't live on 650 a week.. Also they hardly have any kind of bonus program and you have to harp to get detention pay..alot of this depends on your fleet manager. Breakdown is good about getting you fixed up but they have some real smartasses there that you have to deal with on the phone.

It really depends on what you want. If you want a true otr experience go with May, you get great experience there... then leave after a year or so. I can't attest about Swift.. I know they have a lot of opportunities but I have heard horror stories..I was in your shoes once and I chose May..if I had to do it over I would chose them again for the experience I gained.

8. RustyChops41

RustyChops41 Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2016
    Clovis, CA
    May tends to run the north mostly, so if you like snow, ice, and chains, there ya go. Not only is the .cpm low, but so is the speed at 61 blazing mph. A good day is 450 miles. And they charge you for fuel if you idle beyond a set percentage (no APU's). But why are these two awful places your only choice?

9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Swift has a decent flatbed program. That gives you options.

“But Six, my friend doesn’t pull flat.”

Personally, I wouldn’t want to be trained by a close personal friend. This is business. No favors. No sugarcoating. My goal would be to be good at what I do, not to get an inside edge.

Rocknroller4, RedRover and ZVar Thank this.
  10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Plus, to expound on what six said....
    You are simply using either one to get your year in, then hopefully moving to a better company.
    How much of an inside edge do you really need?

11. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    How could I forget the speed set at 61 mph. You will be in a race with heavy speeders like CRE and Prime..its sucks going 61 through the flats of Utah and everywhere else. Yea no APU. I only got charged for idle once in 2.5 years. Most of the time just use common sense, it also depends on your terminal. I heard 2 different dispatchers at Brooks and Denver talking to their drivers like dogs about it. I wasnt out of those terminals.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.