May Trucking from the start

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by jml2007, Jul 25, 2010.

1. jml2007

jml2007 Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2009
    AZ Desert
    I have decided to start a new thread on my experience with May Trucking. I used this site to check out May and other companies, so I hope this helps any one else thinking about May. I graduated Southwest Truck Driver Training in Phoenix, AZ on June 24th, 2010. SWTDT is a good school and if anyone has any questions about them, contact me and I will give you more info. I had been pre hired by a few different companies but after investigating and reading the different threads on the site, I chose to go with May.

I attended their 3 day orentation in Phoenix. I assume typical of any orentation: paperwork, videos, company policies, drug test, Qualcomm, logbooks (May as of July 1st is paperless) and tire chaining. There were rumors at our school and on this site I believe about May's backing skills test at the Phoenix terminal. It was rumored that they are very strict on the 45 degree alley back. I had passed my backing test in school with no problem and felt comfortable with my skills. Arizona took the 45 degree off the states test so the school does not have to teach it. Luckily my group at school was small and we advanced enough to where the range instructor had us practicing the 45 for an hour every day. Well all this said, I was nervous the first day of orentation because the first thing up was the backing test. All I can say is you should be able to drive/back a truck and thats what May wants. Enough said the 45 test wasn't that bad and its all history from there.

I finished orentation on June 30th and we were instructed to call the student driver placement lady the day after. I did and was told that it could be a few days. Well it was and that being said is about the only bad thing I can say about May. It has been 25 days but I am leaving in the morning. I guess because of the economy and people changing jobs there are alot of drivers being hired now. Also I would have left maybe 5 days sooner but the mentor I was scheduled to go with truck broke down. I think they are a good company and they will work out the best for me as far as training time and pay. A few guys told me that after a week they would have bailed and gone with another company. Problem there is that one you are hired and attend orentation that goes on you DAC, so being a newbie and having two jobs in the first month probably would'nt look to good.

I will be running Western 11, dry division. Mays dry division trailers are 14' so they do not go back east. All I know at this point is that my Mentor's name is that of a popular frog on tv and he has a 2011 International Pro Star and runs 48 reefer. He says he wants to "fast track" me thru training, which is fine as I feel my skills are good and really want to get working. I will be leaving in the morning with him and time permitted I will try to update so that others can use it to their benefit. Take care and maybe we will see you out there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Efon

Efon Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    I have heard they have a shortage of trainers out of phoenix. They are routing some of the Denver guys down there to pick up students.

If your trainer is Jimmy, listen to him. He's a great guy to be riding with. Good luck to you, keep us posted.

4. jml2007

jml2007 Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2009
    AZ Desert
    I guess they do, no the trainer is Kermit, been driving for 18 years and been with May for 3. Are you with May?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  5. thelastamericanhippy

thelastamericanhippy Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    jacksonville, fl
  6. Efon

Efon Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    It could some obscure famous frog.

Yeah I drive for May. Just bored waiting to get unloaded in Denver. Then it's time for a 34 hour.

7. jml2007

jml2007 Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2009
    AZ Desert
    Good deal, you on the refigerated division? Hows mileage been?

8. Efon

Efon Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    Yeah I am on the refer side. Miles have been good. I haven't sat waiting for a load since the middle of December last year. Got in the trainer program after a year with may and I'm averaging 3.2-3.5k a week.

9. jml2007

jml2007 Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2009
    AZ Desert
    Thats good mileage, any idea what the guys on the western are getting? How much more do you get for being a trainer? Whats the protocol on that, will the student drive and the trainer too like a team or just the student?

10. longtodrive

longtodrive Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2010
    SoCal
    I am scheduled for orientation on Monday August 4th. with May and I'm looking forward to driving for them. It sounds like your overall experience with them has been good except for having to wait for a trainer, are there any other concerns that you have with May? My brother has a couple of friends driving for May and they had nothing but good things to say about them. Let me know.

11. Efon

Efon Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    I am not sure about the western side as I don't know anyone on the western. As far as training goes, you get an extra .02 cents/mile that the student is on the truck. May does not want the trainer to sleep while the student drives, so when the student is driving, I am sitting on duty in the passenger seat. Kinda sucks for me, since my hours get taken rather quickly, but I do get paid for every mile the student drives.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.