McElroy Truck Lines, Inc. - Cuba, Al.?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by 4banging, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Copperhead

Copperhead Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I am starting to get the opinion that most companies are not all that great to work for, especially the ones that hire students. McElroy sounds better than most, and I have to start somewhere.

I appreciate everyone's input, and would like to hear more. I am still leaning toward McElroy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Copperhead

Copperhead Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I have been approved for employemnt with McElroy, and am pretty excited about the whole thing. However, I am currently working elsewhere and will not begin with MTL until mid June. The school I went to said I could come down there some in the meantime to keep in practice.

Does anybody know whether McElroy allows drivers to bring a pet along with them?

4. NyteWulf

NyteWulf Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Blacksburg, Va.
    A McElroy recruiter visited our school in VA. I remember him saying they do have a pet policy with a deposit, dont remember how much though. They seem like a good company and I'm considering them among others.

5. Don,
    If you don't mind, can you tell me more about their trucks. I am really considering this company. I would like as much info as you can give me. PM me if you wish. I sent Diane my MVR and DD214 today.

Thanks
    Rob

6. DragginMan

DragginMan Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2007
    north AL
    Just curious, when you did your training where did McElroy put you up? Did you go home at any time during the training period? Also, can you recall the insurance cost? Getting a lot of miles?

7. help123

help123 Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2007
    My husband is thinking about going w/mcelroy, and wanted to know where are most of the loads pick up and drop off points are? We live in GA

8. overheard

overheard Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2007
    Woodville, Alabama
    First off during the week of orientation and first week of training you stay in a motel in York Alabama which is 8 miles from Cuba, McElroy pays for the room and you have the choice to stay in the room the intire week including weekend or check out on Friday and go home and check back in on Sunday for the next week, after the second week you go on a truck with a trainer for four weeks and they try to get you with a trainer close to you. I had to drive about 50 miles each week to meet my trainer, and are home every weekend. The final week of training is back at Cuba, Alabama and you are isued your truck and you stay in the truck for the entire week at the terminal. They have break rooms and showers at the terminal and will also let you use the company van to go to Meridian Ms. to shop or get a hot meal. If everything works out you will leave on Thursday afternoon to pickup your first load and go home for the weekend and deliver it on Monday. Second, The loads could be from almost anywhere in the Southeast, Brownsville ,Tn is very popular that is where one of Lowes distribution center is, but McElroy tries to keep you one State plus one from the State you live in so they can get you home on weekends. We haul mostly building materials, like sheetrock, shingles, and if you haul for Lowes it's a little bit of everything. I hope this answers you questions if there are anymore I will do my best to answer them. I have been with them 3 Months now and still am very satisfied with them. On your final day of training you will get to meet Mr. McElroy, he will spend about two hours with the class and he is a very nice and honest man.

Thanks Don

9. DragginMan

DragginMan Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2007
    north AL
    Thanx a lot OVERHEARD. I have been looking to go to either McElroy or PGT. Both look good on paper, but its what the drivers, esp. new ones, say about the companies matters the most. Living up in Huntsville puts me in a good position for both companies to get good hometime, hopefully. I do like to do more than drive, ya know. Besides family time, I enjoy lighting people up on the paintball field!!!!!!!:smt072

10. Hey Don,
    How about info on the Trucks?

Thanks
    Rob

11. overheard

overheard Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2007
    Woodville, Alabama
    The trucks are all internationals and are 2005 or newer and are governed at 65 mph. I am not sure what size the sleepers are but there is plenty of room. They have CB hookups and TV hookups but you have to provide the inverter. I hope this helps

Don

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.