McElroy Truck Lines, Inc. - Cuba, Al.?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by 4banging, Aug 10, 2006.

1. mceheel

mceheel Light Load Member

Nov 23, 2008
    old fort nc
    I am scheduled for oreintation 1-26-09. I live in a little town called old fort, nc and am about 4miles from Columbia Carolina. The recruiter I talked to said I lived in the perfect spot to be near home once or twice a week. What terminal would I run out of. Is anyone else scheduled for the 26th in pleasanthill, nc

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mceheel

Nov 23, 2008
    old fort nc
    Hello out there all you trucking dudes. Is anyone out there???

4. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    Hey mceheel. I'm supposedly joining you guys a week after you, Feb 2nd, but I'm still holding my breath for the all-clear from recruiting.

From what I've read, you should be excited, they should be good right now. Not my top top choice, but worlds better than any of my other offers.. ok, offer.

5. trucking?

trucking? Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2008
    charlotte,nc

Do you mind keeping us updated? I'm in school near charlotte,nc and the mcelroy recruiter is coming Feb. 2nd. I'm not going to be finished until Feb.20 though. I was surprised about the positive thread on mcelroy. You ask about any other company on here and all you get is"grab your torch and pitchfork":biggrin_25516:. The only companies I know for sure that are coming besides mcelroy is Roehl,Werner,U.S.express and I think Trans-am. I would like to hear a more recent opinion since this thread is a bit old.

6. PharmPhail

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    Of those, try to get on with Roehl.

The Charlotte McElroy recruiter seemed a little like a scheister, kind of sarcastic about other companies, but decent enough. He's got curly grey/dark hair if you get the same guy... don't remember his name. So apply to Roehl, McElroy and then Trans-am would be the 3rd best choice. Roehl has flatbed, McElroy is only flatbed, and TransAm I don't think has flatbed, so that's something you want to decide up front.

If you don't like to shift then USX would be ok, but very poor on home time and likely moving to team only over the next couple years. Don't be excited when Werner approves you in like 12 hours from the time you apply, this is standard. They have no trucks for you once you get there and train as a cheap team for a couple months.

CT is flatbed and they recruit in Charlotte. Decent equipment (well, Macks) and automatics as well, but the math slide of his powerpoint presentation is really bad. It gives average hours and cents per mile, then the range of yearly pay is way off to the high side of what the math works out to. That guy likes to joke about the bed straps... if you strap in when you're solo, they're gonna let you go. It's stupid but I bet he tells it... I had to endure it 3 times.

7. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

PharmPhail Thanks this.
  8. trucking?

trucking? Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2008
    charlotte,nc

Well, the same logic would have to apply to the recruiter if it was the other way around. You know, how everyone says how they sound good but they still are not sure because recruiters lie. I wouldn't want to base my decision strictly on the recruiter being a sarcastic #########. I only hear good things about Mcelroy and that seems rare. Roehl seems decent enough but I haven't looked into them extensively yet. I'm going to have a tanker endorsement coming out of school but I don't know if you can get a tanker job out of school. Besides tarping, what are some of the other negatives about flatbeds?

9. PharmPhail

Nov 7, 2008
    NC

From what I've read, tarping and of course securement are the big drawbacks, and are seemingly quite enough to keep many out of it. Another possible drawback is with the spread axle. Behaves a bit different in driving.

Beyond that are benefits. Somewhat less competition, improved visibility when driving, and considerably less backing or dock bumping.

No I'm of course not basing McElroy on the recruiter. He is what he is but represents a good company regardless. I only put Roehl up above because of the pay, profit sharing, salaries and bonuses, job satisfaction, and multiple freight choices. With almost any other company, if you find you don't like what you're doing, you'll have to quit and find somewhere else to work.

10. mceheel

Nov 23, 2008
    old fort nc
    I am looking forward to working for McElroy trucking after the all the research I have done over the past several months. I was origioanally supposed to show up on the 12th but they uped my orientation to the 26th. I had a freind that went to school with me to get our cdl's and he also was going to try to go to work for McElroy. He was denied for whatever reason he doesn't know, but he was also denied from trans-am also. I am supposed to receive e-mail information around the 19th to tell me what I need to bring etc. I am 44 yrs old and have been working for the same company basically ever since I came out of high school. I manage the shipping and receiving and have busted my ##### off for the last 16yrs in this position, so I am not afraid to WORK, I am just tired of working for peanuts. I have the belief that if you get anything out of life you have to WORK for it because no-one is going to give you anything. I am a little catious about the economy right now but Diane was pretty much confident about the freight in my region, and freight in general picking up. I have talked to several McElroy drivers and not one has said anything negative. Every one of the instructers at the school I went to has had nothing but good things to say. This is pretty much a power move for me but I know there is no future in textiles. I will keep you guy's informed over the next few months, hopefully I will meet some of you guy's in the next few weeks, PEACE.

11. PharmPhail

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    Hey Mceheel, how long did it take your friend to find out he was declined from the time he applied? I'm still wondering how good my shot is, I applied a couple weeks ago, spoke with Wendy this week and they were still working on it.

Also, why did they push your orientation back? Was it because they hadn't finished your application yet or did they just cancel orientations for a couple weeks? Any info is appreciated.

Hey I know where old fort is, I used to live in Candler. Knew a girl Josie who lived in Old Fort. I don't envy you having to drive that gorge everytime you go home though!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.