Trying to decide between McLane, Sysco, or Food Services of America as to which is a better overall company to work for. Any thoughts?
Mclane, Sysco, or Food Services of America?
Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by drew2083, Feb 1, 2019.
Page 1 of 2
Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds
Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.
x1Heavy Road Train Member
- Mar 5, 2016
You are going to physically WORK.
If you find that motivating, then compare the rates of pay among the three. Because if you are going to do that kind of inflicting work on yourself, you want the one who pays the mostest.
I worked for McLane about 20 yrs ago (when it was still PepsiCo) Their pay package consists of mileage pay, stop pay, and, I believe piece count. Used to be cubic ft of load, but I think now it's just piece count. Pretty much all of the routes are layovers. You can make a good buck if you hustle and don't mind fingerprinting your whole load. Years ago, some customers would even give you a helper but don't count on that...
The Sysco in my area pays a pretty good hourly wage for about the same kind of work as Mclane, although I don't believe they do layovers. I've heard that if a customer wants their whole order in the basement or up on the third floor, you are required to put it there. McLane drivers never used to have to do stairs, but that may have changed.
I'm not at all familiar with FSA, but you'd probably be fingerprinting their loads too.
If you are in reasonably good shape and don't mind hard labor, go for it! Just figure out who's gonna pay you the most. I know the McLane distribution center in my area is offering a pretty hefty sign on bonus...FlaSwampRat, Ryan423 and drew2083 Thank this.
TruckerVinny Medium Load Member
Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member
@Radman I believe he used to work for a food company before. Hope he can share info.
Good luckRadman Thanks this.
Mclane is fair and pays you pretty well. I made 70k my first year and would of hit 93k my 2nd year. I was also topped out. Company was laid back to me. But I didn’t complain and bailed them out a lot. Also with the lack of drivers you can pretty much do what you want if your a good worker. It is hard work though at the end of the day. Doable, there are a lot of drivers 50’s and some 60’s still running a ramp. Very good 401k and benefits day 1. Berkshire Hathaway(Warren Buffet) ran company so you know your check won’t bounce. Good company but hard work Imo.Danny707, localguy65, drew2083 and 1 other person Thank this.
SyscoRecruiting Bobtail Member
I lead recruiting for Sysco and have been with the company for 18 years. I would be happy to talk with any of you about a career @Sysco. It IS indeed hard work but the pay and benefits are competitive. With a very few exceptions, our drivers are home every day and most delivery routes begin in the early morning.JudahMourn and localguy65 Thank this.
All my comments are in regard to McLane Foodservice in Concord, NC. McLane is a great company and they don’t micromanage you like US Foods. All the posts here are right about the work too, and you will not like the job if you are against sweating and working hard every time you go out. McLane is offering good sign on bonuses and benefits Day One right now. You will make $65k+ your first year and could easily make $100k+ if your willing to work 50 hours a week. Component pay: miles, stops, and cases. All equipment is new within the last 5 years and they are always getting new trucks and trailers by cycling out the older ones. 80% of the routes layover, with the other 20% being local routes with a helper. Most guys want the layover routes because they pay better. Best company I have worked for, but make no mistake that you need to be ok with hard physical labor if you take a Foodservice job. Happy to answer questions you may have.
Ironwindow Light Load Member
- Mar 1, 2019
I've been a diesel mechanic and school bus driver for the last 5 years so I'm not afraid of hard work or waking up early. I just want to find a job where I can take care of my family and part of taking care of them is being here for them.
I've unloaded trailers full of food before when I use to manage Papa John's so I know how "fun" it is. The truck drivers did most the work but I learned if you take care of your truck drivers, they take care of you.
I've had my class A's for 4 years but I'm restricted no tractor trailer right now. I start trucking school on 3/11 and should be finished by 4/11.Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
Craig List Light Load Member
Page 1 of 2