mcp200 w/continual problems

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jm2, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Jm2

Jm2 Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2018
    New solo Drvr w QC non op -/or continual malfunctions ( **I know they are outdated equip, & how to do soft & batt resets & omnitracs ' support' & PDF guide...& Asking FM w hard resets) but my ques & concerns go beyond that - incl when it goes 'down' (timing).

Shortversion : how expected to run when its proven unreliable? Esp when assigned jit's & /or HV? (Seated trk 3 wks ago w/ 2 loads in 3 weeks & while I sat, it worked fine). It first went down w / in hrs of 1st trip assigned on a ded run & was dwn 19-23rd. 1st shop replaced bb on 23rd & it went haywire on 28th in city on way2 drop what was only my 3rd load since seated . On 29th another shop repld antenna & Sd 1st shop should've done it. ( my exact thots also). So yest, on way to drop my 4th load, went dwn again only 12m frm consignee... I used my atlas & got verification of direc from consig also ( & I'd had no response frm night/Wknd for an hr plus / already arr safely @ drop B4 they responded). Confusing, bcuz it had been working until that crucial point ( 2 trips in a row it goes 'dwn' when near drop & when also nd it operational 4 all other essential tasks (change duty status, in cab scan, send m's, etc). I looked @ diag tab messages, which incl "(main) shell deactivation, to wib connection, no satellite or wifi +++"... I'm at a loss anymore how to troubleshoot. I had two jit's behind this 4th load, but w no qc to rely on... atlas is great but not long term repl 4 QC. Hoped to buy RM gps on fri, but paycheck less than $50 for week before. *For what it's worth - even w these continual probs, I've been early to p/ups/drops & have clean safety record also.
    Suggestions please?

Thx.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Sure would be a lot easier to read without all the shorthand.

4. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    You can get all the load info over the phone.

Your fm can email you directions.

You can run a paper log.

It takes a little bit of effort, but I would run.

Dan.S and Long FLD Thank this.
  5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Run paper logs when it goes down, learn to use an old fashioned atlas. Pretty simple. You’ve learned you can’t always rely on technology

Dan.S Thanks this.
  6. Jm2

Jm2 Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2018
    *Posted I did use atlas / also ran paper until in shop/ and if cant get FM or night-wknd on phone as another replied, then you sit until you do? Thx.

7. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    As long as you’re running paper you’re legal. I believe the regulation says that you can run paper for a reasonable amount of time until you can get the eld fixed. Last year I lost the speedometer in my T800 so the eld got all confused because my location was changing but the truck wasn’t being driven as far as it was concerned. I logged out on a Tuesday and ran paper until I got in for the weekend and could get the sensor replaced on the back of the trans.

So as long as your company is aware of the problems I would run paper until the issues can be fixed. I for sure would park and lose money over it not working.

Jm2 Thanks this.
  8. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    But he probably saved almost a minute of typing by leaving a letter out here and there.

Dan.S Thanks this.
  9. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    "no satellite or wifi +++"

I've had so many problems with the same unit, even 2 of them.

The first was what was just mentioned, it could not keep a connection.
    The shop 'fixed' it by changing the black box. That lasted less than a couple hours. I asked about the cable from the antenna to the computer, and that turned out to be that problem.
    Some of those shop people can not think on their own, and need a little help.
    (Not the first time I have diagnosed a problem for shop people.)

But the replacement QC unit also has problems.
    I loose any input capability.
    No touch screen, no buttons or keyboard.
    That is sometimes solved by using the battery cutoff switch to drain the unit of power for 5-6 minutes, so it has to do a fresh boot.
    Sometimes it seems it is simply the area I am in, and it will clear up once I'm moving again.
    Cosmic rays, magnetic fields? Who knows.

Right now my QC is going nuts. It is in a cycle of restarts, but not shutting down yet to do a proper reboot.
    It just tries to reinitialize the 'desktop' environment. Sometimes that works, sometimes not.

I dunno.
    Maybe there is a faulty ground connection somewhere in the system.

10. Jm2

Jm2 Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2018
    Sounds familiar> before box switched out it went to continuous looping- reboot some 20 +times in 24 period / nav routing off the chain, at one point gve complete direc & fuel stops for an 1800 mi trip when the customer was less than 300 - & cc was input correct, re-verified & appeared /visibly correct in address window bottom right. Sent mac req 4 cust direc but rec'd the same screwy mess as what the manual nav provided. Then w/ 'new' box & antenna, satellite shows not installed, wifi locked, o/s not good, sdm ppp connection failed & so many more ' errors' - some flagged as info & others as critical. I understand temp glitches, any elec device is subject to crashing/ failures, but to run areas like NY (*which I nvr have b4) w/ just an atlas- no RM/ trk gps or loc maps...if must find safe place to stop to QC msg.. & if that quits at same time (again)... In such a situation, how to reach fleet, avoid hazards...

Appreciate your replies btw.

11. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    Shop had to replace black box and antenna to get mine fixed

12. Jm2

Jm2 Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2018
    Seems I'll need another repl box (maybe a back up battery too?). Shop said antenna new & appears so from my ground view . I re checked cables @ box, none loose... it is what it is .

Thx for reply!

13. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    So you have a new antenna and box, but...

What about the cable connecting them?

Why does no one seem to suspect the obvious culprit?

14. Jm2

Jm2 Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2018
    Ok... how can I check that? Thx for suggestion. Good distance from our nearest shop & may have to f2f relay a jit just to get there.

Also, any ideas why malfunctions @ critical points ? Locations? Some of this redundant but had sat for days & no prob, then 70mi to rural area & no issues. Soon as 1st trp assgnd it went belly up in that rural area & was in (self?) Reboot mode for 5 days- even aft I'd moved.

What really baffles me though, is on my last two runs, both when w/ in 20mi radius inbound to my stop it goes beserk. Once after box replaced & once since antenna. Both very dense metro areas where most details obviously req'd. Each time, once I'd successfully made it safely to my stops & worked around closed roads & cluster 2mi frm recvr w shopping malls, etc., but when @ dock & in a lot in middle of suburbs, suddenly it began working again. Don't know how that will change once I drive a ways - or breathe out the wrong side of my mouth - odd, because for all intents & purposes, it worked fine out in no mans land country, even during high winds/ t-storm, no prob w/ frwy to frwy changes (a no brainier to look/plan on atlas anyway). The timing at which it goes nuts is the worst. Murphys law/ nature of the beast I suppose!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.