Mech RGN No ramps.

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by FerrissWheel, Feb 17, 2017.

1. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    Tried searching, saw a few mentions, but nothing specific on this problem.

Anyway, I was talking to one of our Recovery drivers that pulls a Fontaine mech RGN. Apparently the only truck with ramps are the piggyback drivers.

I've only ever seen this done with ramps.

I understand the normal process for detaching a mechanical neck. But how do you detach the neck without ramps? Would the suspension dump low enough to get under it then raise to clear tires? Do you just block up the trailer so it's not completely to the ground when you separate the neck? What am I missing here?

I was going to ask him, but I found out he was leaving the recovery team and got sidetracked finding out how to put my foot in the door.

johndeere4020 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

It can be done, but it takes a little more work. You will really want to lay some blocks under the trl.to start with..
    Take it from there....

Logan76, snowman_w900, Oxbow and 7 others Thank this.
  4. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    Yes you have to block the trailer up so your truck can still get underneath it. pain in the ###

snowman_w900, Oxbow, RGN and 7 others Thank this.
  5. PeteyFixAll

PeteyFixAll Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Disclaimer,
    Never pulled a mechanical!
    But helped a guy load one of our old trucks once that was in your position, no ramps and had never broken the trailer down, his first load with it!!

A few strategically placed blocks and ended up also needing to lay a 1" board across his frame rails to get it back up on the plate! The plate and trailer would just hit square on his truck, not climb,,,,

Oxbow, FerrissWheel, MJ1657 and 2 others Thank this.
  6. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Not to mention, with a kW you stand a chance of hooking the torque arms with the kingpin. Now you are stuck unless you can block the trailer up somehow and put a 2x4 on top of the frame rail.

I think I heard that somewhere. Yeah that's it. Experience is a great teacher. One and only time I pulled a rgn like that.

PeteyFixAll, Oxbow, LoneCowboy and 5 others Thank this.
  7. passingthru69

That's why I only gave a starting hint

Oxbow, FerrissWheel, MJ1657 and 2 others Thank this.
  8. passingthru69

I really need to start a consultant business for newbies. I can stay here and do it all by video calling and internet services. Heck I already have a paypal account. Just can't take comcheck efs etc and deposit them at my bank here.

9. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    Even with ramps they can be a real pia at times. Just spend two days and make some. It'll be worth it in the end.

10. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    Thanks guys. I suspected but if I end up on the team, I'll be replacing 1 of 4 guys that do this. Let's just say we don't see each other basically ever.

And I was trying to avoid doing something stupid. But at least my suspicions were on target.

I promise to report back if something hilarious happens. Anyway time to roll soon.

Oxbow and noluck Thank this.
  11. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Just make sure it's level and you won't have any problems. I used a 6x6 block of treated wood and just was careful. I didn't try it with a truck with full fenders, however. Just half fender truck.

PeteyFixAll, FerrissWheel and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.