Mechanical Inclination

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Choocharoo, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Choocharoo

Choocharoo Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Brantford
    So noobie question.

I see alot of this terminology in jobs but I guess I'm wondering what they are looking for. I mean are we driving or fixing trucks. I'm assuming there are people out there with no real clue about the mechanics other then identifying problem parts etc as part of inspections. Personally I come from the I. T. World in a previous career and mechanical isn't my bag. Does this mean I'm at a disadvantage or should be good.

Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Can you change a light bulb by yourself in the truck stop? Or will the company have to hire the truck stop "mechanic" and pay the 1 hour minimum of $120 in labour to do it for you? Maybe fix a clamp that has come loose, very simple minor issues.

Can you identify what part of the truck isn't working the way it should and point to it and tell the (preferably) yard/company mechanic what it's doing that ain't right? Or at least clue in something is going wrong before it actually breaks by how the truck drives.

That's all they're really looking for. They don't want the guy who can't even read an oil pressure gauge and see it is lower than normal and just keeps driving until a piston makes a hasty escape out the side of the block then calls and says "duh I have no idea what happened" while the company looks at the cost of a new engine. Could have saved thousands. That kinds stuff.

4. Macneil

Macneil Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Sudbury, ON., Canada
    ^^

He is right.

Companies typically look for a driver who can tell when something major is going to happen. Small things happen all of the time but a lot of them could be preventable if you know what you're looking for. Will you know what you're looking for right away? No. You'll pick that up a long the way.

Trucks do wonderful things sometimes. They make you go hmmm often enough no matter how old or new they are.

I got out of the trucking industry for hopefully the last time. I turn wrenches for a living now. I have always been mechanically inclined but yet, trucks have always surprised me often enough.

Easiest way to learn is do a proper pre trip every shift. Gotta stop and take a leak? Get out and walk around the truck. You'll learn what is supposed to smell and what isn't supposed to rather quickly when you do that. When you stop for the night, walk around again. Talk to other drivers and mechanics. It all helps!

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  5. Choocharoo

Choocharoo Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Brantford
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going thru second career so wanna make sure i do all my research prior to commiting. Honestly in 30 years driving and too many cars I was the guy to bring car to dealer for everything; and yes oil changes too lol. Ya I have an idea how it all works but could I get out the wrenches and make changes no way. This is the only aspect truly making me second guess. Thanks again.

6. Macneil

Macneil Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Sudbury, ON., Canada
    I wouldn't be too worried about it. You'll learn.

If you end up with a mega carrier, I don't think they expect you to be too mechanically inclined. If you're with a small company, then maybe they'd expect it a little more.

upnorthwpg Thanks this.
  7. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    This. Most companies, even smaller carriers expect you to do minor maintenance, changing airlines, bulbs, fuel filters, hubs, etc. Most do not want you doing much more. I know mine has forbidden brake adjustments to be done by the driver, even if you have your endorsement. One brake adjusted wrong causing a fatality, look out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.