Medication?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by xnathantaylorx, Mar 25, 2017.

1. xnathantaylorx

xnathantaylorx Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2017
    Hi guys. New here and not sure the rules.
    DOT guy who gave me my dot physical and card (renewal) said that Ambien is now not approved for truckers.
    I was told last year it was okay and that as long as I have 8-10 hours not driving I'd be fine. I cannot seem to find anything online to help me.
    Is Ambien approved to take while driving truck?

Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    I was trying to lookup info about truckers and ambien, but so far no go. Not sure what class of meds it is figured at. But I believe ambien was found to cause problems in some people with things like sleepwalking and having no memory of it, and also very vivid dreams.

Here is one website. http://www.truckmed.com/medications.htm

Acceptable Medications / Treatments

FAA / DOT Medical Certification requires that pilots /drivers take no medication which is likely to interfere with safe performance of their duties. Neither the FAA or the DOT publish an official list of approved drugs. The following list of medications was compiled primarily to assist pilots however drivers and physicians may also find this list useful. This list was developed through experience with pilots and drivers and should not be considered complete or regulatory.

I think most things like that will be rejected. No antidepressants either unless St John's Wort and melatonin for sleep.

The date on this is 2014
    https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/faq/what-medications-disqualify-cmv-driver

xnathantaylorx Thanks this.
  4. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Find a doc that works with drivers, and ask him what he/she recommends as a replacement.(if ambien isn't allowed anymore).
    My only fear of ambien would be not being able to wake up and/or function if something occurred during my break. I tried it years ago and would literally be cross-eyed with double vision if I woke up again in the middle of the night.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  5. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I have a laundry list of meds I have to sleep. Waiting on them to kick in. I was on zyrwm which is a really nasty prescription of ghb aka the date rape drug. I don't take it anymore because I buit up a tolerance to it. I did some strange stuff but I took ambien and will never ever never take it again.

Shock Therapy and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  6. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    My daughter took Ambien and would never take it again either. Too many vivid dreams, and then whacked out.

ExOTR and TROOPER to TRUCKER Thank this.
  7. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    I don't think Ambient will come up on a DOT 5-panel anyways. It could cause an initial positive for barbiturates or benzo. But i think the secondary testing will rule it out. This is all subject to the individual doctor doing your physical by the way .

8. Ooops

Ooops Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2016
    2cents
    Temazapam Helps you fall asleep , no hangover whether you awake 2 hours or 8 hours from ingestion

9. vongrimmenstein

vongrimmenstein Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Keep your medical info to yourself. The more they know the better chance you will not be certified to drive. If you are young & new to this industry, keep a low profile. Tell them less & less. Once a drug hit's your file as being used by you, it will follow you the rest of your life. And it might be the company rules NOT the DOT guidelines that might end you career. Everybody will claim it is against the law not to disclose all you medications & they will be correct. But keep in mind, the more you tell a prospective employer or current one, the greater chance you will have NO INCOME. And once you have a medical issue come up in a employment application, the longer your job search. Do I disclose all my drug use & struggle to provide for my family, or not? You are cannon fodder just filling a seat. Employers do not put out a list of drugs that would keep you from getting a job. But you can bet there is one. Disclosure is like life, it's a crap shoot. Good luck. von.

kemosabi49 and Ooops Thank this.
  10. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Light Load Member

Good advice right there.And watch whats put out on forums also,if your ever involved in a accident,never know if something you wrote might be found--even years down the road--that they can n will use against you.Just sayin. Good luck to ya.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.