Mega-carrier oddballs of the past

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by Ex-Trucker Alex, May 7, 2023.

1. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    Back in the late 80's-early 90's, I drove for JB Hunt. Back then, there were only 2 models which made up the vast majority of the trucks they had; one was the older International 9670 C/O single-bunk with a 300 big-cam Cummins mated to a 7-sp shorth-throw Eaton, and the other (newer) ones were International 9700 dual-sleepers with the same engine, but all except the first year had a 9-sp Eaton-Fuller road-ranger. Trainer models had the dual-bunk high sleeper, and a very few of the early 9700's were single-sleeper, but that was about it, except......
    Back on about 1987, JB bought maybe 10 Peterbilt cabover single-sleepers. These were a bit of a hack-job, since they also ran the old 300 Cummins with a 7-speed, and in order to keep the 5th wheel height common, it had what today you might call a "Carolina squat", where it was raked such that the FRONT tilted upward from the rear.
    Also, somewhere around 1992, they also had a few dozen 'test trucks' using a Cummins L10 with about 330 hp. I drove one of these for about 6 months, and enjoyed it. It was a motor lacking in torque, and it revved about 200 rpm's higher than the larger big-cam motors, but it came with (gasp!!) cruise control, which would also require me to idle-up to near 1000rpm when idling, making far a MUCH smoother sleep time. I drove one of these through the worst d@mn Canadian winter in decades, and had few problems. I often wondered how well these worked out in the long run; I hear they wore out quicker than the larger motors.

Blue jeans and bzinger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RubyEagle

RubyEagle Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    A buddy of mine had a JB Hunt Cabover International he was going to restore. Said they ordered them without Jake Brakes. Also said they ordered the frames painted orange. He was going to restore it back to original. I enjoyed the story. I bet the guys that got the Petes were very proud of them at the yards. Thanks.for your service driver!

bzinger Thanks this.
  4. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    Actually, the Petes were complete strippo models; not a SINGLE option! No radio, plain vinyl seat, single bunk, leaf springs all around, and no Jake. They DID have A/C and an air-ride driver's seat, though....

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.