Melton as first job out of school?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by JrzyDave, Nov 12, 2021.

1. JrzyDave

JrzyDave Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2012
    To just quickly get to the point, would I be making a mistake going straight to a flatbed gig right out of school with no experience? Melton seems to have alot of pros about it and are willing to train new guys. Would I be better off doing the regular reefer/dry van bumping docks for a year with a Mega route or do you think its doable. I'm over 50 but a gym guy so not too worried about the physical side. I worked outside for over 20 years for a utility company. I'm more worried about biting off more than I can chew with learning securement and driving at the same time.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you prefer flatbed, then go right to Melton as a first job. Melton has been around a long time and hire new cdl school grads that have never driven a 18 wheeler before. Go for it, Melton knows how to train you.

4. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    No. In fact, if you want to do flatbed, go do it. A company like Melton would probably be a good option, lots of bricks and sticks. Simple loads to learn securement and still be able to focus on learning to drive. No need to go to a van company first.

@stwik used to work for Melton, maybe he'll stop by and throw some pointers your way.

5. RustyRod

RustyRod Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2021
    Sounds like a good fit.

JrzyDave Thanks this.
  6. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Just go slow flatbed is something you have to choose your method of getting the job done

BackwoodsGA and JrzyDave Thank this.
  7. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    I agree with the rest of the guy's. If flatbed is what you desire, then jump right in. And I also think Melton would be a good fit for a man in your shoes.

PoleCrusher, Cat sdp and JrzyDave Thank this.
  8. JrzyDave

JrzyDave Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2012
    Awesome. Thank you for your replies. I appreciate it

PoleCrusher Thanks this.
  9. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    If you want open deck — do open deck.

Plenty of companies will hire you straight out of school for it.

Melton is a decent place to be. I know they’ve changed a lot since I was there three years ago — it’s a big company with high turnover. But they’ll teach you flatbed. Get a year of experience and you might realize you want more of a specific commodity of freight and can start being more specialized with your next company. Or you may like Melton and stick it out for a career — important thing is to keep your record clean.

Bizzarrogeorge, cke, JrzyDave and 3 others Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Any old timers remember this? This was before the company moved to Tulsa.
    Melton Truck Lines; home of the running rabbit.
    Patch and lapel pin/tie tack.
    [​IMG].[​IMG]

1. Vernon Sawyer - ATHS
      forum.aths.org/PrintTopic72131.aspx
      Dec 27, 2009 · Melton Truck Line (home of the running rabbit) boy that brings back memories . Remember Charlie Douglas & the road gang show that air late in the night ? By skeeter - Thursday, December 24, 2009 6:17 PM
    ~
    The Times from Shreveport, Louisiana on March 8, 1981 ...

The Times from Shreveport, Louisiana on March 8, 1981 · Page 19
    · The running rabbit emblem marks 600 highway tractors which roll up and down and across America on missions for Melton Truck Lines of Shreveport, whose president Duncan McRae Sr. struggled as ...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    It's nothing wrong with going flatbed right out of school. I actually broke into trucking that way. I started with Western Express.. Personally, from a driving standpoint, I think it's better that you start with flatbed. You'll learn to back a spread axle, which is more challenging than backing a box or reefer. You'll also learn load securement, and should you decide to start bumping docks, you'll be more conscientious of load securement in a box trailer, and you'll learn to drive the load, as opposed to the truck, if that makes sense.

lual, Brettj3876, Very Metal and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.