Melton or System Transport for a rookie?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Feanor, May 27, 2017.

1. Feanor

Feanor Bobtail Member

May 24, 2017
    Hi, I am a newbie working on my CDL right now. For some reference, I am single and hometime is not an issue. I live in North Idaho, right next to Spokane, WA.

So I have been doing a ton of research and narrowed down my choices to a couple companies I hope to work for: System Transport based out of Spokane, WA, or Melton Truck Lines, out of Tulsa, OK.

Melton pays significantly better after 1yr experience, but System is right next door to me, and also pays pretty well, especially in the first year. So here are some questions I had for drivers who work/have worked for these companies.

What are your average miles as an OTR Flatbedder? What about Regional? Does Melton have Regional options (I know System does)? Do you have to deliver to NYC/Northeast alot with Melton? The more details the better, I would really like to know how much I could expect, realistically, to make as a young single male who doesn't mind running hard and has no hometime issues. Both as a rookie and going forward.

Also very important is, what pay method do these companies use? Hub, practical, or HHG? I am having trouble finding any info on that for either of them.

Any input would be much appreciated, tia!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    This is what I know about those two companies. Melton runs east of I-35. System runs the west coast.

4. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    They both run blue t660's too.

5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Melton is a stick and brick hauler. Systems has more options for today and tomorrow. Systems for the win.

TheDudeAbides Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Did you also look at Leavitt's Freight Service and Jones Bros. Trucking in Missoula,Montana?
    They both hire in your area. Most new grads haven't heard of either of these.

Bluedew, fargonaz and Feanor Thank this.
  7. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    Well I'm stuck in post falls for the long weekend and I have seen more system trucks than melton so I would say system.

passingthru69 and johndeere4020 Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    High cpm is a red flag to me. Why do some companies have to pay an above average cpm to attract drivers and still have a high turnover rate in drivers? Some drivers only make in the low 30 cpm's but still make a thousand or better a week.
    Don't pay much attention to the cpm. Look at the length of hauls and freight lanes, etc. to get a better idea if you'll enjoy the job and still make a decent living.
    Experienced drivers will tell you; don't pay attention to high cpm or sign-on bonus, because that's usually just a cover for something going on that's making drivers quit after a short period of time. Those sign-on bonus are stretched out in monthly installments over 12 - 18 months hoping the driver will stick around long enough to collect all of it.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Rollr4872, Airborne and TripleSix Thank this.
  9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I agree with you. I'm not interested in any BONUS. No sign on bonus, no fuel bonus, nada.

10. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    But if you were in Tulsa it would be the othere way around....

11. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Yea, they use the Flying hook for the backing portion of their road test. Saw that one day sitting there. Same truck 5 different times. Back into a spot. Set brakes, get out walk around and then leave. 20 minutes later. Same truck, different driver

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.