Melton or System Transport for a rookie?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Feanor, May 27, 2017.

1. Feanor

Feanor Bobtail Member

May 24, 2017
    So just to be clear we are talking about finding someone who pays percentage? TMC was one of my first options, but alas, they don't hire in the western states. They are the only one I have come across so far.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AZjim

AZjim Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2016
    I have seen more System trucks then Melton up in your neck of the woods. That is kinda important so that you get home when you want to. Central Oregon runs up in that area also, but that would probable be a better place to look into once you have some time running flat. There are actually several flat companies in your area, but your gonna want to go somewhere that can help you out being new, then talk to drivers from other companies your run into and ask them. They all have the good and bad. I would really consider Roehl if they hire out of that area for a new driver to flat. Which ever company you decide to go with, stick it out for a year or two. Switching companies starts to look bad on your record.

Just passing by and Feanor Thank this.
  4. Feanor

Feanor Bobtail Member

May 24, 2017
    Thanks for the tip! I do plan on staying with whatever company I choose for 1 year min. I live in Idaho so I am well out of Roehl's primary hiring range, but it DOES seem they have a small hiring strip in Oregon, so I will definitely look into it, they sound like a good company to drive for with hometime/pay options.

5. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    There's a few flatbed cimpanies out of Idaho. Doug andrus comes to mind, not sure what their pay/hiring requirements are.

speedyk Thanks this.
  6. texmade2

texmade2 Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Melton Truck Lines RUNS ALL 48, A FLATBED COMPANY and you must be able to stand on one foot at a time ,each for 30 seconds, pay at 44 cents a mile but not driven miles , they have there own formula. If you have experience it`s 4 day orientation or 8 day for new drivers and they go out with trainer for 3 weeks, orientation pay is $100 cash on the fourth day and 400 on comdata card when you get on truck with trainer . you test drive on a ten speed must know double clutch. they teach you paper logs in class and tarp and strapping their way. hair and urine test so do not waste your time if use they will find out. they feed you lunch and you eat breakfast free at motel, buy your own supper . no shortes, pants and shirts with sleeves, steel toe boots also, they will give you a list before you go ,most of the stuff like hardhat ,gloves and knee pads and (Rand McNally Large Scale Road Atlas $9.00 ) ,and road vest you can buy
    at class. did I leave anything out , aske me ,maybe I know and may be I do not
    but will try to help. by the way they do not want you to ever back up your truck unless you must, pull in pull out.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    Reason for edit: more info
    Lonweld, Jagsfan and Feanor Thank this.
  7. Airborne

Airborne Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2016
    KY
    Just from what I understand, Roehl also seems to push leasing a bit in qualcomm messages from what I understand and from watching video's of their guys on youtube. Just a heads up!!

8. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Jones Brothers in Missoula was mentioned. I know of a rookie t hat rolled his truck 4 months into driving. Ther compa ny blamed themselves for not training properly. The load was rough cut lumber and that settles faster. He was only 20 miles into his trip, went around a corner, the load leaned and took the truck over. Because the lumber had settled the straps had loosened enough to allow this to happen.

That is a stand up company righht there.

9. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
    That's scary. That's just one more reason to do a load check a few miles up the road, then one 50 miles up the road.

Airborne and cnsper Thank this.
  10. dayton9538

dayton9538 Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2018
    I drove for Melton, and living in northern california and coming home about every 5 weeks i found myself west of i-35 about 50 percent of the time. i drove for them for 8 months and only went to the northeast on 3 loads, made deliveries in NYC, Hartford and Philly. I spent a lot of time in the plains, Texas (always was going into Dallas), and up and down the i-5 corridor. They tell you in orientation that 80% of your driving will be east of i35 but from my experience if you live on the west coast and come home regularly they will keep you out west.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  11. Odin's Rabid Dog

Odin's Rabid Dog Heavy Load Member

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    My first load for System took me to New England. Last week.

Did you know that System Transport/ TransSys has a terminal in Gary, IN?

You know, now.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.