Melton Truck Lines : August 19, 2013 (Tulsa, OK)

Discussion in 'Melton' started by Scotty Johnson, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Lady_Medusa_03

Lady_Medusa_03 Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Forest City Pa
    Ok yes I agree with noggin, keep swinging doors. But next time your gonna give an anti flatbed speech keep in mind I'm female, I just dropped a load in 100 degrees while u were napping I unstrapped un tarped and had everything put away and in am hr I was moving after my next load. So while ur complaining walmarts not unloading you fast enough that flatbedder is moving. It was also brought to my attn about some older posts. Some ppl mentioned are no longer with Melton, keep in mind the amount of time spent here. If things are really that bad noone is going to spend that long in those conditions. No life as a flatbedder has not always been peaches and cream. But I'm fairly new to flatbedding. I love my career, and I found a home here at Melton. The thought of going back to tandems repulses me. That is a very borinh job.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scotty Johnson

Scotty Johnson Bobtail Member

May 14, 2013
    WOW!

I have really been neglecting my post, alright here is a quick recap!

I finished training been doing a ton of loads I guess I am about a month into running solo - loving it, had some fun tarping in south dakota with some really strong winds on top of a load.

I love the exercise and have dropped from 240 pounds to 210 pounds already - pretty happy my miles are pretty low but they still have me in the training fleet so that is probably the cause.

I also wasn't happy when they sat me for six days while my truck was getting fixed just to give me a newer truck on day six seemed pretty inefficient oh well....

But I really enjoy the job and will definitely stay put for a while I hope I can get more then 2,000 miles though on average so far it has just been about 2,000 a week due to the fact that I seem to only get 600 mile runs every weekend.

The worst thing about the job is if you have these spread axle trailers and you get to a truck stop late and all they have are spots you basically need to 70-90 degree dock into.... those can be fun - I end up pulling forward 10+ times and pissing people off, oh well.

4. burke

burke Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2013
    orlando, FL
    I always try to park early. Get an away in-easy out spot. It's ok to pull up 10 times, get out and check behind u as often as possible, as long as u get parked safely. It's all good. Glad to hear your doing well. Your miles will pick up over time. Your getting training miles/loads. As u get better or over a little time the loads will become more challenging. With a few easy ones mixed in

5. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    They started giving training miles? I've never heard of a training fleet....miles are miles, loads are loads. There aren't any loads that they give just to "new drivers"...

6. burke

burke Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2013
    orlando, FL
    They have assigned a DM to all newbie drivers. They start them slow and work them in. It is a training fleet. Julian Stinette was the DM for all new drivers, I don't know who it is now. But I do know its a different DM now

knuckledragger and WillieBGoode Thank this.
  7. slcspud

slcspud Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2014
    SLC, UT
    My orientation at Melton is in a week and a half. I'm taking my CDL test tomorrow, I'm completely new to all this, so I'm pretty stressed out. Any advice for orientation?

8. DragonHalo99

DragonHalo99 Light Load Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Take a deep breath, relax, being stressed out for your test is not going to do you any good. I have a year experiance almost the best advice i can give you is be patient your first year will be rough, take your time and watch your mirrors. Also do not team with a lease operator like i did with central he bailed on me and now i have a 2013 peterbilt 587 for 83 weeks(i honestly did foresee that coming). Only other advice I can think to give is look at things as a bit of a challenge.

mparks90 Thanks this.
  9. DragonHalo99

DragonHalo99 Light Load Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The orientation since your new will be really straightforward though. You will take a drug test and physical for your medical card within your first day there.( dont forget to get a copy of said card to the dmv for the self certification, depending on the state they may require a long form). Then the rest of it will be all the company policies and making sure you can do paper logs and stuff like that.. They will make you lift some tarps up and put them on a shelf( fairly light so should be easy). You will also take a road test(since your a new hire they just want to make sure you can drive safetly their not concerned with grinding. Also make sure you bring your dd214 if your military i forgot mine and they gave me the first bus ticket home and said see you in six months. Thats really all i can remember from orientation so if you have any more questions ask away.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.