Melton Truck Lines

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by trucking68, Jan 13, 2018.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Welcome to flatbed , they do that with lumber all the time, customer makes u tarp even know it's been sitting outside for 2 months in the mud and u get there and untarp and they plop it right back down in the mud... But God forbid u show up without a tarp u just bought urself 48000 pounds of lumber,..

Frank Speak Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Water and mud isn't nearly as bad as sodium chloride.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Roger that I know they do it to keep road grime and road salt and God knows what else off of it that we come in contact do the when driving, but it is frustrating sometimes tarping and untarping in the pouring rain especially when there a Conestoga driver parked next to you sitting there watching lol

5. TaterFox

TaterFox Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Ashland City, TN
    I remember my flatbed days of picking up at a customer, they fish it out of about 3 feet of water, bills say tarp, customer says tarp, boss says tarp. I tarp. Get to customer, untarp, and they drop in a mud hole with 2 feet of water. Great success? Profit?

Lonesome and Frank Speak Thank this.
  6. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    When I worked at an aluminum extrusion plant, they would reject any load of billets or logs that weren't tarped in the winter, even though they sat outside at the processor, and sat outside at our plant. Road salt was the cause.

TaterFox Thanks this.
  7. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    And wind speed driving chemical and water deep within.

I started 22-years ago in flatbed (DEATON, Birmingham). Melton then and now has always had what looks like very nice equipment. That ain’t cheap.

There’s bound to be good work somewhere inside that firm. Meaning new guys gotta be there long enough. And learn to love flatbed (don’t pass me on the road with minimum chains on a big coil. Everyone will know you’re in the house, ha!).

But the new guys “can’t hear”: “Hey, Blue Rabbit, you’re dragging a tarp strap”.

57D0F9C9-9088-49EE-A60D-63F204DC71BB.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  8. samuel446

samuel446 Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Melton is about 50% tarped. If he went to System its 90%. Just about everything their is tarped.

9. samuel446

samuel446 Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Ya its all the salt and #### on the road. Some companys like home depot just don't want their #### dirty at all.

Frank Speak Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.