Mercy Sakes Alive, Looks Like We Got Us A CONVOY!

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by ExtremeUnction, May 20, 2017.

1. ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA

So I'm not as old as some of you Olde Phartes(tm) around here, but I ain't no spring chicken neither. I'm old enough to remember when this song was new and getting airplay on the radio. I was seven when the song came out, and today I listened to it again for the first time in probably 30 years. This was also the first time I've listened to it as a trucker.

And I have questions.

What are "swindle sheets"?

How the heck can Rubber Duck smell Pig Pen's hogs if Pig Pen is riding behind Rubber Duck?

What's a "jimmy"? (As in "a jimmy hauling hogs"?)

Why did Pig Pen ride all the way from L.A. to New Jersey if his receiver was in Omaha?

How could Pig Pen and Rubber Duck even talk on the CB if Pig Pen was in Omaha and Rubber Duck wasn't?

What the heck did these guys do to get so many cops after 'em? To say nothing of the Illinois National Guard?

Can you imagine a line of a thousand trucks all trying to maintain the same speed and position in line, mile after mile after mile?

I will probably have other questions later. No, I am not really all that serious about it. Just being silly.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Swindle sheets or log book and a jimmy is a two stroke Detroit.

TampaTony and ExtremeUnction Thank this.
  4. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Back in the day, I was singing along while riding with a friend of mine in the car. I screwed up one line, and it ended up coming out of my mouth as "cabover reef with a peter on..."...

One of my finer moments.....

5. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    Ahhhhhh I see you have never been behind a Prime truck on I-75 between Atlanta and Chattanooga at rush hour, have you?

TampaTony and cnsper Thank this.
  6. Antler24

Antler24 Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2017
    Around here the "older" fellas called it Screamin' Jimmy!

7. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Good ol 238 detroit.

The term jimmy was first the nickname for gmc trucks but Detroit's later got tagged with it cause so #### many of those gmcs had Detroit's in them.

Edit: and Another name for those detriots: screamin greenie

2nd edit: about the song, it was made specifically for that stupid Hollywood movie. Just like anything else out of Hollywood both the song and movie are made to get a reaction, not based on reality at all.

Hick Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The National Gaurd or military componet would be involved in really strong cases of civil insurrection. There are actual manuals in the Military that deals with delivering nuclear warheads to a rebellious city should it be required.

The last time the Military was considered was in two situations, One was in the florence and normandie riots of LA after a not guilty verdict on the king beating, and there was a man with a armored tractor tearing up a town, the local law enforcement was fixing to call in apaches with hellfire missiles in the area to deploy and kill it.

The Military can be used in the USA in certain situations should it be required against a population that is actively destroying or fighting the local government and enforcement is not able to contain it.

Back to Convoy... I think we can still get a thousand trucks to run together without anyone disrupting the flow, it's called governor at 62 mph with no one able to pass anyone. =)

bzinger Thanks this.
  9. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    There are training manuals on ground combat on the moon. Doesnt mean jack. No need to jump the shark here.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  10. ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Nope. Original song came out in 1975. Movie came out 3 years later, with a new edition of the song with new lyrics to reflect the action in the movie.

Here's the movie-specific version:

11. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Pete 352's!!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.