Merging Right of Way & Big Trucks

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jamwadmag, Feb 9, 2007.

1. jamwadmag

jamwadmag Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Desert Southwest
    This is a chronic problem when driving big trucks with heavy loads. Particulry, I see this problem quite often in Yuma, AZ---the Marines retirement community!! They have about 6 merging points in Yuma, and the ramps are at least 1/4 mile long with a reduced speed thru Yuma of 65 mph. Many times I have traveled 'Thru" Yuma only to have extremely, poor mergers come on as I maintain my speed with heavy loads. I look for the 'gray hair' to expect a slow merger. Often is the times when they merge, cannot make a decision to speed up so as to get in front of me, or slow down so as to merge in behind me. I will hard brake to avoid an accident, but otherwise, my constant speed should be sufficient for them to make a 'merge decision.' This problem has happened several times and the result is a 'road rage' retired-marine pulling in front of me, hitting his brakes, and giving me the finger!! My other friends who drive that same stretch say the same thing. The reason that I bring this up, is that my co. had a 'run off the road' record on me from 8 mos ago as a complaint by a driver---my only in 7 yrs driving!. I never run ppl off the rd, but they may have to drop back and merge late!! What got me, is that I was not notified of the complaint until my review---how can I defend it?!! It didnt affect my review, but still ticked me off, cause I consider myself to be a 'safe driver!' I know that the thru traffic has the right of way, but having to hard brake and maybe even cause an accident on the roadway let alone damage the load, is not providing safe merging!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    that sucks man. i have a similar problem as a 4-wheeler pizza driver. it seems that sign on top of the car is a magnet for people who don't like pizza delivery drivers. like in trucking, some guys that haul butt through residential areas have given all drivers that label.
    i had a lady look up and see me behind her. she intentionally slowed WAAY down till the light we were approaching turned yellow, then red.
    we were both in the left turn lane,so i decided to turn right go down to the median break and do a U-turn. i did that and passed by the light she was waiting at. she looked FURIOUS. she then caught up with me a moment later and tail-gated me all the way back to my job.
    she came in and told my MGR. that I "ran her off the road while flipping her off the entire time as i passed"!! my MGR gave the dang woman a free pizza!!! she later said she didn't think i really did it but i was still PO'd.
    just goes to show what happens when some people don't get their way.

4. jamwadmag

Feb 28, 2006
    Desert Southwest
    The driver is guilty and can not prove his innocents!! Plus, ppl think that YOU should give up YOUR right-of-way to them---we all do it out of common courtesy to merging traffic, but if they merge extremely poorly, I dont want to have to slam on my brakes for their mistake!! I will to avoid an accident, but otherwise, they need to pull in behind me!!

5. FarvaWS6

FarvaWS6 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Cleveland, MO
    I thought the purpose of the on ramp was to get up to highway speed before merging??!! I hate people that drive 45 mph on the on ramp and then dry to squeeze in between 2 trucks that are goin 65 mph. These people should have their liscenses taken away!! I always get up to speed pefore I try to merge, and if there is a truck in the lane I slow down and let them get by and tuck in behind them. If they are going slower than I want to go then I simply pass them once I'm on the highway. It's easier and safer for both.

6. Gio

Gio Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Saint Louis area
    The purpose of the ramp is to merge, however many ramps are too short to get to highway speed. Also sometimes the traffic on the highway is moving slower than the ramp. So the driver coming on should look and slow or speed up to merge. The smart truck driver will avoid the right lane when there are on and off ramps and if they have to be in the right lane they will run slower than the speed limit, this makes it easier for people to merge.

7. jamwadmag

Feb 28, 2006
    Desert Southwest
    Once coming on a short, uphill ramp in St. Louis in rush hour traffic (& loaded heavy), had to run on the shoulder a little bit since no one would let me in and I couldnt stop and get a restart with any speed for another try at it!! ha ha Ppl will yield to a 'crazy bold' trucker...ha ha ha:biggrin_2559:

8. bubbavirus

bubbavirus Medium Load Member

After that Blufton, OH baseball team died (6-8?) in Atlanta bus crash, "Drive-Cameras" are installed and can record ahead and behind bus in the yard I work at. Just a matter of time before all vehicles have to have them, motorbikes too.

9. jcash1

jcash1 Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    If I got a truck in front of me when I'm getting onto the freeway, I'll try to stay behind him. (of course far enough back so he can see me in his side mirrors). When he gets to the end of the ramp I'll merge over to the left,and try to "protect " his path over till he gets up to speed or atleast completly in the lane. Then I'm gone!:glasses2:

10. 2xR

2xR Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Ol' North State
    I've noticed many interstate on-ramps no longer are posted with the "YEILD" signage. This is a bad trend. Now we are told to "MERGE", instead. That sort of takes the "rule of law" out of the intersection. In my mind, it's much like removing all the stop signs, and letting us have at it. Duh!

I do not, and will not, drive for other folks. I hold my lane, and speed, unless there is zero danger to be encountered by moving over. Me speeding up isn't really an option with my heavy truck, and slowing down is strictly for emergency situations.

It never fails. Move over to allow someone ease of entrance, and they'll just ride your right side for the next ten miles. Meanwhile traffic is piling up behind you, and eventually trying to pass on the right, as well. Too bad. Either speed up and get in front of me, or, slow down and get behind me because beside of me will put you on the shoulder.

Fellow truckers, this may seem a bit one-sided, but since you are the professionals you are, I will extend a bit more courtesy to you (as a professional favor), and give you the room you need to get your slow arse on the highway. :yes2557:

11. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    I love the morons that take their first look as to the traffic situation RIGHT at the end of the ramp where its either do or die moment. Without fail they will panic and if not STOP completely they slow WAY down.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.