Metal buildings

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by D.Tibbitt, Dec 7, 2019.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Any of you guys have a metal building or barn type of structure , or a shop of some kind for the truck? Trying to find me a good piece of land in arizona that either has a building or get one built so i could have somewhere to park my truck n turn wrenches on it and use it for other car/toy projects as well.

Ive researched different websites and companies that do custom builds but the ones they advertise are not tall enough to put the truck into.

Curious if any of u guys have something similar to this and could give me a ballpark estimate of what something like that would cost to build.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I know you said Arizona, but on FB marketplace here, there was a guy dismantling and selling chicken barns for a steal - in 10’ sections -

You load, or he delivered - make for very cheap utility sheds.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Nice lol i only say arizona cuz thats where i live currently and would like to stay close to family but im willing to find land anywhere provided its a good price

lovesthedrive, Tug Toy and PE_T Thank this.
  5. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Wow that seems like a good deal, although i have no idea how to build something like that

Tug Toy and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  6. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Easier said than done, but buildings aren’t difficult.

I deliver some metal for a metal building outfit.

My suggestion would be to contact the manufacturer with a size, then source a contractor to erect. Cut out the middle man.

lovesthedrive and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Message me if you want, I’ve got a contact for a Kiwi guy based in Lubbock, TX if you like.

lovesthedrive and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Our Church is built of a group of as needed custom steel skeleton framed metal buildings complete with insulation etc on 5 acres over 20 years. All of them are doing ok.

My former home, the new owner who bought it from us raised a simple arch garage of a two car kind on a spare slab. I think she paid about 15000 all done. The cement slab probably worked out to 300 dollars per five yards in pours out to a standard 2 car garage footprint. If it was higher with bigger arches (You raise one curved section and bolt into another. And repeat until you have a shop building or garage long enough and tall enough for the intended job.) you can put a semi in there well enough.

Insulation will be less than a thousand, if you are careful you can have them line the skeleton frame and then fill it with blow hose to spray good insulation in there.

Just a few thoughts.

If you add a meter for power etc it's about a thousand dollars. You might be able to add a small box to your House main and dig down in the ground and bury service cables from your house main power box to the garage possibly. Be about 15 years before you have to hunt shorts like we did with ours between buildings.

I hope these thoughts help you tonight.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Thanks heavy its tough not having a place to officialy call home or ha ve a place i can work onthe projects i want , so im on the hunt for something good

lovesthedrive and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I was where you were at one time in my life with opportunist in regards to land and possibly a pad to call a forever home out west in several places. Particularly when the developer says I can put a 18 wheeler on a few acres.

I had dreams in those days as well as money. Life doe snot work out exactly that way, I still became a home owner with enough land to put a 18 wheeler on it. Minus gravel. (Thats one thing I forgot to remind you, if you fixing to put a semi have a few dumptrucks bring in gravel and spread it out with a rental bobcat a foot deep.

When you finished that, consider a deep french drain along that gravel driveway and near your garage that is at least 4 feet wide, 10 feet down (Backhoe...) and at least 50 feet long. That way no matter what rains you get your drive and garage will support your 18 wheeler.

Its 540 feet to the street in my old place. My next door neighbor built two drains. One to protect a former gas main distribution and the other about 150 feet long 5 wide and 12 deep along our driveway at the edge of his fence.

One day Ike showed up and rained almost 30 inches in 9 days. Rain rain and rain. But we still had a driveway we could use thanks to that french drain.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.