Metal shavings in Fuel line

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Jardon, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Jardon

Jardon Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Texas
    I recently bought a 2010 Freightliner with DD15 and 811k miles from an auction. However, it has a hard start and I took it to the dealership which gave me a quote of about $14k; $2k less my purchase price to chang pump, lines, injectors.
    I found an independent guy who says the pressure is high and wants to change pump and flush the lines to get it back running. Can the truck run reliably after changing pump and flushing the system? Do I need to change injectors, clean or not bother with them? anyone with past experience.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I would at least have them inspected and tested. Some injectors have a metal mesh on the inlet side to keep large pieces of debris out. If your fuel pump has been pushing metal there is a good chance they could be clogging.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. joe016

joe016 Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2016
    How much the guy is changing you and does he know what he doing you could try that and see what happens. What you mean by hard start ? Take a wild of cranking before it will start have to use starting fluid etc

5. joe016

joe016 Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2016
    You may have more problems with that mileage if u don't know any history on it

6. Jardon

Jardon Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Texas
    it cranks for long and starts but after a while, it just cranks. The mechanic got it to start. He is charging $1100 for labor.

7. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    are you sure it is metal and not aluminum ? I do know of older trucks where fuel sending gauges break or tank baffles break & the movement in the tank causes them to scrape & get shaving in the fuel filter.

8. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    I read somewhere on here about those Detroit's having issues with the fuel pump going bad and dumping metal shavings in the fuel system.

Vampire Thanks this.
  9. Jardon

Jardon Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Texas
    It is aluminium..

10. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I think its fairly common for the low pressure pump to go bad on these when the system is not primed properly after a fuel filter has been changed. You will see aluminum in the fuel filter housing. Give Interstate Detroit in Altoona, IA a call and see what they think, they are probably one of the best Detroit shops in the country.

11. mastllc

mastllc Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    somewhere in ga
    Also its not a good idea on a dd15 to keep turning the engine over trying to start it if it doesn't start. Keep turning it over and over can ruin the fuel pump on those engines.

Oscar the KW and Jardon Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.