Method to Remove APU Fuel from Truck Fuel For IFTA

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by PE_T, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Not worth the savings, I understand now. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    So many different variables with APUs from model to model and outside temps. I would imagine ridgeline has this one right. My last APU I was told used around 3 to 4 gallons a day with regular use. Some days I ran mine longer then 10 hours.

4. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    ALL what you need to talk with IRS like POTUS is APU engine manufacturer fuel consumption data + hour meter record for tax period.
    P.S.
    These two birds, is it media went to take pictures from the sky on this caravan marching north in Mexico?

5. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
  6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

The most accurate numbers I have heard was at Stevens Transport where instructors would say APU fuel consumption is 1 gallon every 4-6 hours. A few months ago, I used my APU for days nonstop. When I fueled, I ran some numbers, and it came close to 1 gallon every 4 hours. My APU was also running full strength because it was at the peak of summer in Dallas, TX. I have used APUs for so long I can tell by the sound of the engine, how hard it is running.

7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    My last Tractor was a new Prostar with an APU, bunk heater and large inverter. Before that I was driving a Volvo equipped much the same. The APU in my Prostar based on information from the shop used very much the same as you describe. And I think my actual use was very close. However that APU in that Volvo used considerably more. I never paid that much attention to how much but I did a 34 reset in Reno once and was actually down for close to 3 full days. I filled my tanks before parking. I left my APU running and over time I noticed quite a bit of fuel was missing. I stayed in a hotel, but it was extremely hot outside and I had almost 4 cases of Hershey's chocolate products inside. I'm guessing I used every bit of 45 to 60 gallons of fuel! Hard to see my fuel level because my tanks had those anti theft screens inside them.

PE_T Thanks this.
  8. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    My APU is fueled by gasoline. Check. Mate.

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You guys are missing a few points, this isn't about the IRS, it is about IFTA which is about taxes based on distance and position. Some of you think you can do this but if you run in say 30 states, you have to subtract the specific state's taxed for every one of those states based on the hours of the APU was run and it gets stupid because how complicated it is and to beat all of it if your numbers are off, and they think there is a problem, they will audit you and that my friends is a big ****** of a thing, IRS audits are easy compared to an IFTA audit.

PE_T Thanks this.
  10. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    I thought the op questions was about ifta. Meaning in order to figure put his mpg. He needed to no how much fuel he burned÷miles driven. Since fuel used in the apu was not burned in the engine. If that amount wasnt subtracted then his mpg would show leas than it was. Therefore possibly making him to pay more.
    Ex 800 miles divided by 100 gallons =8mpg
    But if you subtract the 15 gallons used in apu
    800 miles divided by 85 gallons= 9.4mpg.
    And that makes a difference. But I could be wrong, ask my wife I often am.

11. River9601

River9601 Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Springfield Illinois
    I’m so glad I went with batteries in my 389. I was sick and tired of dealing with Diesel APU.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.