Methods to keep awake + alert

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by I95runner, Jan 20, 2014.

1. I95runner

I95runner Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2014
    What methods do you use to keep awake to make it to your destination or the nearest ts late at night? Someone in a different thread posted that almonds work well. Also any of you ever been affected by highway hypnosis and how do you combat it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Get appropriate rest, take regular breaks and staying alert isn't usually an issue. If it does start to be an issue, I stop at he next safe/legal spot and get rest.

4. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Had a guy once tell me to open a sleeve of saltines and put them in your pants...he wasn't joking.

Chinatown and rodknocker Thank this.
  5. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    I normally play and record methodical melodies of classic hits with the air horn followed by rumble strip interludes :)

6. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    I make sure to get enough sleep, if you have trouble falling asleep then take a natural aid like melatonin, dont use sleep pills which interrupt your deep sleep cycle. Stopping every so often just to get out and stretch helps a lot even if its just to walk around your truck a time or 2. On a night I feel more tired than usual sun flower seeds tend to help, if im too tired then I stop and take a cat nap, a major tip I was told by a doctor with naps is dont nap more than 30 min, you will go into a deeper sleep then wake up more tired than usual, even 8 min of sleep can refresh you for a couple hours studies have shown, I will nap for about 20.

If you have an issue of always being tired and dozing at the wheel then get a sleep study done since there can be a chance of sleep apnea as well, I used to fall asleep randomly throughout the day and never feel rested until I found I had apnea and got treated, now I am always alert.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I take power naps while I'm driving.

bergy, dennisroc, rodknocker and 3 others Thank this.
  8. KW Cajun

KW Cajun Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Copperhead Road
    I would think emptying a jar of cayenne pepper in your underwear would be far more effective.

Seriously, getting sufficient sleep beforehand is undeniably the #1 preventative method.
    Coffee is very temporary, and will dehydrate you after awhile. I find occasional sipping on an ice cold drink (I often do lemonade or Dr Pepper) can revitalize you. But it works best really ice cold, not just "soda can cold".

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    blairandgretchen and rodknocker Thank this.
  9. Cbake84

Cbake84 Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Missoula, Mt
    go to the flying J in amarillo, park in the back row and listen to ch. 19, sooner or later somebody will be talking bout selling chicken feed lol.... in all serious to stay alert you gotta sleep enough, I and always used nos energy drinks loud music if i was getting drowsy, also changing the radio station to something you dont normally listen to helps.

10. rodknocker

rodknocker Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Southeast
    What I do is make sure I get some sleep during the day even if it requires some hard liquor. I make sure I get sleep. I stop by the store and get some sugar free energy drinks on my way to work. I swing into McDonald's and grab a large coffee for a buck. I have all my favorite songs on my phone and listen to them through my Bluetooth (a good Bluetooth covering both ears with stereo) I have friends that I talk to every night. Before I know it I'm back to the barn.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  11. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    coffee does nothing for me, I only drink it because I like drinking coffee, I can down a pot then go to sleep. At times I wish I was sensitive to caffeine like some people are but I never have been.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.