MHYN or others on funny idling dd15

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Bogie5263, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Bogie5263

Bogie5263 Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2018
    On another thread you talked of your DD15 having a cyclic idling issue. I have a DD15 with same issue. . On higher rpms it goes away, but on the idle it is very noticeable. I have another DD15 that runs perfect. It seems to have started after we changed fuel filters. It takes probably 5-8 seconds of cranking to get it to fire and then idles like how you describe. I took all of the filters apart and can't find any issues, no metal etc.. The cranking issue I am sure because some check valve is not holding, but I took the two apart in the 3-filter housing and can't find any issue. I also replace the quantum fuel control valve thinking maybe, but didn't do anything. Did you figure anything out on your DD15 as to why it was running this way? I have some OEM fuel filters and some NAPA filters. Not sure which ones I put in this truck. I will try using OEM filters next and see. I also use a homemade ESOC that I put fill them at 90 psi. Any other thoughts??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 4vmach1

4vmach1 Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    The QCV needs to be reset with diagnostic link if your engine is still surging at idle and only use oem Detroit fuel filters and oil filter on the DD engine. As far as fuel filter issues I always found the larger coalescer filter to the be a issue:

1) Apply a light coat of petroleum-based lithium grease to the Water Separator/Coalescer *cap seal ring* and to the *lower seal* on the water separator/coalescer filter.
    2) Install the water separator/coalescer into the fuel filter module.
    3) ***Turn the cap counterclockwise until a "click" sound is made***, then turn clockwise and hand tighten.
    4) Torque water separator/coalescer cap to 55 to 60 N·m (41 to 44 ft·lb)

mhyn and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  4. 4vmach1

4vmach1 Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    I also forgot to mention that the pre-filter has a check valve inside the module and this prevents fuel from draining out the inlet when the engine isn't running.

mhyn Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.