Mic issues/Buying a new radio

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by SPC WHIGHAM, Mar 13, 2013.

1. SPC WHIGHAM

SPC WHIGHAM Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Enterprise, Alabama
    I have a current issue with my Cobra radio. It's a model 29 with the digital front. I purchased an astatic and a roadking mic, thinking it would be a better mic. Noone can seem to hear me when using one of those 2 even with the mic turned up on the radio. They say I'm far far away and they can barely hear me, that's truck to truck also. I plugged in the stock mic and haven't had any problems since. Is there any suggestions out there on what happened or is my equipment defective? I was told to buy another radio also, any suggestions there? Most of my fellow drivers prefer Connex or Galaxy...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    Both of astatic and road king mics you have are noise cancelling mics. You're supposed to put them right up to your lip when you talk into them....meaning your lip should touch the curved lip guard found on the mic grille.

If you're holding either mic back 1-2 inches like you would the stock mic, that might explain why you sound like you're down in the mud.

Also there's nothing wrong with your Cobra radio. It does the same job as a Galaxy or a Connex.

Voltrucker Thanks this.
  4. jimbowilly

jimbowilly Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Troy, NY
    Is this a Cobra 29 lx or a 29 lx bt?
    Cobra lx radios will work with the mics you purchased.
    If this radio has bluetooth? Then you have to use a bluetooth compatible mic.
    Jimbowilly

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  5. SPC WHIGHAM

SPC WHIGHAM Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Yep I had em close when transmitting only response was that my voice was deep and far away. I returned the Astatic, but I have the Roadking at home. With the RK people said it was super deep voice wise and not clear at all. I hooked up the stock one and people were able to hear me loud and clear. I have the 29 LX, it's def not a bluetooth model. I wonder if for some reason I just purchased 2 duds, or is it something else. So far no complaints with the stock stuff. I have it run through a cheapo coax from Love's and a K40 trucker antenna. What yall think?

6. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I think it is time to find a good technician.

7. jimbowilly

jimbowilly Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Troy, NY
    It's a possibility the after market mics are not wired the same as your Cobra mic?
    The 29 LX's I've worked on didn't have any problem using any of my other mics.

8. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

I have a brand new Cobra 29 and both the RK56 and Astatic work fine on it.
    I agree,you need to get a Tech to check your radio out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.